Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 14th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    • 84Posts
    • 32Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    the £1,000 project
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    the £1,000 project 14th Apr 18 at 12:07 AM
    This challenge is based on the book & challenge originally created by Canna Campbell entitled "the $1,000 project"
    The book is £9.49 from Amazon for the kindle copy.

The challenge is to create little Parcels of £1,000 $1,000 through passive incomes.
    Canna Campbell had the goal of creating 40 of these parcels,
    meaning she was aiming to gain £40,000 in that year!

The incomes can be anything such as;
    • Each time you save money
    • Each time you make money
    • Each time you find money

Guidelines outlined in the book
    1. Be mindful with your money
    2. Work within your real life - there's no need to change your spending habits, for you to change your budget drastically, no need to freeze on clothes spending in order to take part in this challenge. This challenge is to be done along side your normal every day lives
    3. Consistency is king/queen! - Set yourself some rules, for an example; all money from overtime will directly go into my challenge fund only or if you went to buy a chocolate bar for 60p but didn't , transfer that to it .
    4. Make your own rules - they need to be fair & balanced and to be followed easily. For an example MY rule is ; This challenge is to be done beyond existing wages and savings, meaning I need to start at £0 whereas someone else may do the challenge in existing savings (though i do as we all "start" this challenge at £0 and don't count what has already been saved)

You can use this challenge to fund whatever you wish may it be a holiday, a wedding, paying down a debt, buying a new handbag etc...

Throughout this thread, I will be including prompts for you to do (which have been included in the book) in order to help you focus on this challenge and help focus on your future goals and to bring "money mindfulness" into your lives. You do not have to do these prompts or share your 'answers/reasons etc' with us as I know this can be a private thing.

Tips for the challenge
    • It's easier to start with an empty bank account as you can see from day 1 the progress you are making .
    • Use a notebook / folder to scribble down those prompts & answers; Add stuff or scribble stuff out... make it as pretty or as plain as you like but look back frequently to help you focus on the challenge
    • Have a way of tracking your progress. Airtable on the desktop/PC is a really good resource as it it can automatically update numbers for you and also you can categorize each section. Or you can use a simple savings app on your phone/computer. Bucket and Thriv are good android apps for this (not sure if they are available on the apple app store)

To Join
    Simply post "join" and if you have a target of how many Parcels you want to try and save/earn/find -
    remember 1 parcel = £1,000
    Last edited by Charleyalmostking; 14-04-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Page 2
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 4th May 18, 8:25 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Tropically
    I haven't been neglecting the project! Okay, maybe a little bit, but I am expecting £11ish from £co and also a refund from the train. When it hits the bank I will update!
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 4th May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    i'm starting my challenge again.
    New month, new goals.

Last month was rubbish.

well done
    1kProject £3.70/£1,000Wedding: £625.00 / £2,500
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 5th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    £3.70 saved today.

i took out £40 for myself to spend.
    I owe myself £7 though as that was on wedding / hen night stuff which would have a seperate budget but i didn't want the items to go before I had the whole amount of money needed.
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 8th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Tropically
    £11.25 from £co into the pot, up to £132.09, got £0.01 interest last month. Woo!
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 8th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Hi I would like to join please.
    I dont work at the moment but want to be able to furnish my new place once I move as I am living in supported housing at the moment and have nothing.
    I am going to aim for 3 parcels.
    I already have an empty savings account so I am going to transfer whatever into that. I also have a change jar going on which has thirty odd pounds in it.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge May NSD 3/19
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 9th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    I left my Lloyds bank card at my uncle's house and my dad was supposed to mail them to me but hasn't so I haven't been able to get things in my save the change account. I'm over there Sunday so i'll pick it up then

I've been so rubbish this month with this project but I've been moving a lot of cash to my wedding .

I'll have to count how much I've potted
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin