Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Will i get my deposit back?
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    Will i get my deposit back? 13th Apr 18 at 8:15 PM
    When I moved into my flat less than a year ago, the walls were white. Because of the old building, severe insultation problems and ongoing work on the above floor, the have been some parts of the Wall affected by mould. I informed the landlord about this in feb, and a maintainence guy fixed part of it. But when I leave, the walls won’t be totally white liek before.

Will I have to pay for fixing/repainting from my deposit or is this my landlords problem?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 46,165 Posts
    • 55,866 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    Landlord's problem.

You kept a copy of your letter?

See
    * Deposits: payment, protection and return
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 21,689 Posts
    • 17,565 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    Landlord's problem.

You kept a copy of your letter?

See
    * Deposits: payment, protection and return
    Originally posted by G_M

Although once the LL finds out about the unauthorised Air BnB use they may be a bit more finicky about anything that's wrong with the property now.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    What letter?
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    The one that you wrote to your landlord regarding the mould obviously.
    Last edited by Slithery; 13-04-2018 at 8:56 PM.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    I called him, it wasn!!!8217;t by letter
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    Well that was a mistake.

You have no proof that you ever contacted the landlord about this issue so they could attempt to make a deduction from your deposit to cover the repair.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    Oh wait no ur right I do, I have an email with pics I sent him.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 46,165 Posts
    • 55,866 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    I called him, it wasn!!!8217;t by letter
    Originally posted by lalalandgirl
    Ooops!

Why do you think the law requires the landlord to give you a postal address for him?

There again - why do most tenancy agreements prohibit sub-letting?

Ignore one issue - might as well ignore them all....
    Last edited by G_M; 13-04-2018 at 9:28 PM.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    I have an email I have an email
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Slithery
    Does your tenancy agreement state that email is a valid form of communication?

I know mine doesn't.
    • Annie35
    • By Annie35 13th Apr 18, 9:38 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Annie35
    The dps have a case study where they pay the landlord for mould so I wouldn't be 100% confident of winning this one. I reckon, like always, it's down to specifics
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 9:38 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Yeah - all correspondence via email.
    • brentcloning
    • By brentcloning 13th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    brentcloning
    I get that you're meant to write a letter, but it's 2018 and an email should really be acceptable providing that the landlord acknowledged it.

Mine ignored me for about five months about the heating not working properly, which they never fixed. I just made sure that when new tenants were coming around, I'd make sure to bring up the heating not working in front of the agent and the prospective tenant (as well as telling them to try out the water pressure and making sure I mention how cold it can get).

For some reason no one has taken the house yet!
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Hahahahaha! Love that
    • Techno_Mystic
    • By Techno_Mystic 14th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Techno_Mystic
    I have a small patch of mould on the bedroom ceiling. I will probably paint over it.

There was previously mould in the bathroom. They sent me a letter with advice which includes "paint over it with a mould resistant paint." So I cleaned it and did that satisfactorily even though I'm not sure it was my responsibility as it seem to constitute part of the fabric of the building to me.

But anyway, I have some of that paint left over, but you can also buy those little tester pots in DIY stores as well.

When I paint over it, I will just be following their own advice to do so so they will be in no position to complain.
    Last edited by Techno_Mystic; 14-04-2018 at 1:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 14th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 17,049 Posts
    • 41,978 Thanks
    FBaby
    The key is not what you wrote in the email, but that he agreed the problem wasn't due to condensation, ie. you. Even if he did some repairs, that doesn't mean he accepted all the issue were out of your control. It all depends on what he said in his response to your email.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 14th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 8,030 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I'm afraid we can't be overly helpful. It depends on personalities, attitudes and what has been communicated between the two of you.

You will just have to submit a claim for your full deposit back with before and after inventories, whatever photo's you have and see what happens if the LL does try to withold some of your deposit. You could help by painting over where ever the marks are, but that will hide it from new tenants. But they'll probably be told its just from you not opening the windows even if they do see it. Yes, I'm cynical lololol.

I know I was told mould in my bathroom was due to condensation in spite of keeping the bathroom window open constantly, wiping down surfaces etc and most importantly it being oddly rectangular in shape where it appeared. When the roof was repaired finally it disappeared (and before that whenever it rained I had a little fountain from the ceiling). It seems to be a fairly instinctual response from LL's.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 14-04-2018 at 7:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

352Posts Today

3,440Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin