Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michael74
    • By Michael74 13th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Michael74
    Exchange Only line
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    Exchange Only line 13th Apr 18 at 8:08 PM
    Hi. I have an EO line (Exchange Only line) which basically means my phone line goes straight from the house to the exchange, no cabinets. This means there is nowhere to put a fibre cabinet, thus no super fast fibre unless I want to buy from Virgin. (paying £10 per month more that the current cheapest fiber offer)

According to BT Openreach website its says "my property is either currently, or planned to be, covered through private sector providers by the end of 2019"

However according to an Email I recived from Openreach this week they said "We're working hard on various solutions to exchange only lines, but I'm afraid we can't give any completion dates just yet as we're still in the very early stages."

I emailed Connecting Devon and Somerset (a govt funded agency) who contacted Openreach again on my behalf who received this response " unfortunately the reply from Openreach is somewhat conflicting to what’s visible on their website; today they’ve confirmed that they do not have any current plans to upgrade the EO lines on your street."

In Scotland they are merrily converting EO lines but in England its tough cookies....

Does anyone else having this issue or managed to resolve it?
Page 2
    • Michael74
    • By Michael74 17th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Michael74
    No offence was intended , simply that OR and the parent group BT are commercial businesses and aim there resources (when it's a commercial decision) , on where they will get a decent return, your area's already got VM access , so wouldn't be a high priority as the return would be poor , and considerably more work would be required to convert an E/O area to one suitable for FTTC, making the cost/benefit even worse.
    As fas as price is concerned, FTTP could be the solution for your area should it be considered for an upgrade from ADSL by OR , only a few ISP's offer service over FTTP, and of those that do, BT are the 'value' provider, they don't tend to offer discounts over the 'list price, so FTTP would be no cheaper than VM.

Those ISP's considered budget providers like TT don't offer service over FTTP so the chances are you wouldn't get a fibre and line bundle for £20-25.
    It's difficult to average out phone and FTTP prices, with cash backs , Visa cards etc, but it's probably £25-£30 ( after introductory offers etc) and that's not that different to VM's 50Mb bundle price
    Originally posted by iniltous
    Thanks for the clarification, its very much appreciated.

You raise an interesting point about the possibility of future of EO lines being converted to FTTP, although considering how successive governments have made a total dogs dinner of the privatisation and subsequent upgrades and renewals of the Network, I wont hold my breath.

As previously mentioned I suffer now from x1 child with an Xbox, x1 streaming music and videos, myself and my wife trying to fit in, so FTTC instead of an EO would be wonderful to get that bit more speed and bandwidth and it looks like I will have to venture to Virgin once my time is up with EE.

Thanks all for your input
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 17th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Mister G
    From someone who lives in a rural area, be very grateful that you have a choice
    • Michael74
    • By Michael74 23rd Apr 18, 7:00 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Michael74
    This is true, however the irony is, by the end of next year if I randomly pick a rural village, I am more likely to get FTTC than here in a semi urban area for the foreseeable future.
    • sunshine62
    • By sunshine62 6th May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sunshine62
    Suitable router for separate virtual network
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael74 View Post
    My average is 18.2 Mbps. Once upon a time that did me, but I now have a two children who are old enough to use the internet and things are sloooooowwwwiiiiiinnnngggg dooooooowwwwwwnnnnn lol

Owain Moneysaver responded 13/04 : Not a complete fix, of course, but with a suitable router you can give the children a separate virtual network and restrict their bandwidth so they don't hog it all.

My interest was picqued by the phrase "suitable router". I feel that my/our internet connection is not up to speed. How do I found out if the router is "too basic" to support 3 users (one teenage user, one manic iPlayer user and one normal user) or if the broadband connection to the house is "too basic"?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,093Posts Today

8,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin