Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lilpenguini
    • By lilpenguini 13th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 8Thanks
    lilpenguini
    Ombudsman
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    Ombudsman 13th Apr 18 at 7:45 PM
    Long story I won't bore you with but a quick question! am making a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman about something that's gone one with one of my credit cards. I submitted my complaint and evidence etc online on their website on Tuesday. They gave me a temporary reference number which I stupidly didn't write down as I expected an email, but since then I haven't had any emails about it. Is this OK? Does it normally take a little while to hear back, not even getting a confirmation or anything? Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this to put my mind at ease
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 13th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 30,218 Posts
    • 18,110 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    The card provider's complaints procedure will be detailed on their website. Usually something along the following lines:

1. We will try and resolve it straight away.
    2. If we can't, we will acknowledge within 5 days.
    3. (Optional step - we may give you an update after 4 weeks)
    4. We will resolve within 8 weeks (ie final resolution), or we may ask for more time if we can't.

You can generally only ask the Ombudsman to get involved at step 4.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    Their FAQs here say this
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/answers/complaints_a6.html

This means we can sort out some complaints within just a few weeks - and around two thirds of cases within three months.. But some disputes can take longer. For example, because of the large number of people asking for our help, complaints about mis-sold payment protection insurance (PPI) are likely to take up to two years to sort out.
    Complaints can take longer if you or the business raise particularly complex issues - or you want a final decision from an ombudsman.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,557Posts Today

4,717Users online

Martin's Twitter