Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Tenant referencing check: bank statements
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    Tenant referencing check: bank statements 13th Apr 18 at 7:30 PM
    Hi!

I just submitted 6 months worth of bank statements to a referencing/tenant checking company. I realized only later that my bank statements have incoming money from Airbnb in some cases. Itís not regular and all under 400 bucks each time. But Iím wondering if that will be flagged or raised by the company to the letting agent? Or do these checks happen electronically?

Iím super nervous!

Thanks!!
Page 2
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 8:38 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    I mean current landlord
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 13th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    They may well inform your current landlord and yes you'd lose your money but you've brought it on yourself so maybe you need to reflect on that.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    I have, I wouldnít do it again. But anyway lmao thanks for the concern!
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 13th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Telling your current landlord would likely be a huge breach of data protection.

You have given them your information. It is to be used for the specified purpose.

Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called Ďdata protection principlesí. They must make sure the information is:

used fairly and lawfully
    used for limited, specifically stated purposes
    used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
    accurate
    kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
    handled according to peopleís data protection rights
    kept safe and secure
    not transferred outside the!European Economic Area!without adequate protection
    They cannot just inform your current landlord that they have seen you're bank statements and they have Air b n b on them.

Your tenancy with your landlord is nothing to do with them unless they are your landlord or managing your current tenancy on your landlords behalf.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Thatís what a friend of mine told me.

Idk, getting lots of conflicting msgs all at once!

Some say done manually, some say electronically
    Some say they only look out for CJJs, insolvencies and bankcruptcies and some say they would flag something like this

Gaaaaha! I have to wait the entire weekend because Iíll only know next week
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 13th Apr 18, 9:15 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    Telling your current landlord would likely be a huge breach of data protection.

You have given them your information. It is to be used for the specified purpose.

They cannot just inform your current landlord that they have seen you're bank statements and they have Air b n b on them.

Your tenancy with your landlord is nothing to do with them unless they are your landlord or managing your current tenancy on your landlords behalf.
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    Indeed I did consider that fact but then there are ways and means of doing these things like suggesting that people check out airbnb etc. Landlords have found their own properties on airbnb and of course the tenant would need to prove that's how the landlord found out.
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 13th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    Thatís what a friend of mine told me.

Idk, getting lots of conflicting msgs all at once!

Some say done manually, some say electronically
    Some say they only look out for CJJs, insolvencies and bankcruptcies and some say they would flag something like this

Gaaaaha! I have to wait the entire weekend because Iíll only know next week
    Originally posted by lalalandgirl
    Think about it whomever is looking at your statements will be looking for anything that flags a concern for a prospective landlord and payments from airbnb would be a big red flag.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    I stopped and deleted the listing in January. I just didnít want to anymore.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Well I guess it depends on if itís electronic or manual. Seems to be dependent on the agency itself.

However yeah I get ur point. If done manually it would be a red flag.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    Slithery
    Someone doesn't understand what they're telling you then.

The only information that a LL can look up without your consent is CCJ's, bankruptcy and insolvency as these are a matter of public record. However, they are free to ask you to provide anything they want, and as you agreed to this they now have the extra information.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Oh man! Guess we know what the answer is then !!
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Any other thoughts?
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 13th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    I stopped and deleted the listing in January. I just didnít want to anymore.
    You have heard of cached pages? Believe me it's not hard to find this information that was one example.

If you're lucky you'll find a useless landlord that'll take you on, regardless of your reference and then you'll have a hapless landlord to deal with. Any decent landlord will work out what you've been up to and refuse to leave you in charge of £100k + of their property. It's a hard lesson to learn but at least you've learnt it. I'm not sure what else you expect people to tell you.
    • lalalandgirl
    • By lalalandgirl 13th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lalalandgirl
    Ahhhhh okkkk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,779Posts Today

8,261Users online

Martin's Twitter