Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FOGGYSDAD1
    • By FOGGYSDAD1 13th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FOGGYSDAD1
    Flight delays plus
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    Flight delays plus 13th Apr 18 at 7:24 PM
    Holiday 2018
    What can I claim for, who should I approach
    To whom it may concern:
    I booked return flights from Manchester to Mumbai with air France via Budget Air on 05/12/2017.

Travel dates were 22/03/2018 !!!8211; 07/04/2018. 2 Adults and 2 children aged 12 and 9 years.
    Despite huge concerns with Air France flight cancellations, my party boarded Flybe (Air France Codeshare) at 0640 on 22/03/2108. The aircraft took off as normal around 0645 landing in Paris at the pre-requisite time. Upon landing there was an electrical fault and the Aircraft had to power its systems down. This had a knock on effect, causing a delay in boarding the following Paris to Mumbai flight.

Once inside the terminal we arrived at the gate as it was closing. Flight AF 218 was due to depart at 1040. The coach containing other passengers was about to leave. The attendant stated he would make a call and get us on the flight. A short time later he stated it was impossible to get us on the flight and the gate was closed. The attendant then said he would arrange an alternate flight. This it transpired was the following day and we were given hotel vouchers for the Ibis Hotel and bus tickets.

Disappointed and in a state of shock we went to collect our luggage. It was lost, somewhere within the airport. (BE 384472, BE 384473 and BE 384474 refer). We were told to leave and collect it the following day. As we were departing from a different terminal and not familiar with the airport, leaving it was NOT an option. 7 hours later Our Luggage, (3 suitcases) all found their way to the lost luggage area. The only update I received was it had been found and was somewhere with the airport. My wife was actually shivering and caught a bad cold as she was inappropriately dressed, as we thought we were flying directly to India.

We arrived at the Ibis hotel, around 1700. Fortunately I was carrying a Tablet and I had no choice but to pay a further $249.80, for our internal transfer from Mumbai to Goa with Go-Air on the 24/03/2018.

The original booking with Go-Air , for flight number G8575 23/03/2018, departing at 0510 was now impossible to board as we were stationary in France.

We travelled the following day with Jet Airways 9W 0123 at 1135 (25 hours later than scheduled). We arrived in Mumbai with a short transfer window to get from International to domestic departures. (The hold-up was down to Immigration issues). During the rush I managed to cut my head open recovering luggage from a Taxi boot, leading to both children becoming distressed as I was led away for medical treatment.

We then boarded Go Air G8 575 at 0500 arriving in Goa at 0615 (24 hours later than scheduled)

On Saturday 7th April we arrived at Goa Airport, just prior to our departure my wife received a text message, not a call informing us our fight had been cancelled from Mumbai to Paris. We couldn!!!8217;t access the internet and assumed it was a mistake.

We flew from Goa to Mumbai with no issue with Go Air, and then transferred from Domestic to International terminal. After checking the screens, our Mumbai to Paris flight (AF 0217), was not listed. There was nobody from Air France present to explain what had happened. After speaking to Customer Services department we were told to attend a desk and speak with Jet Airways representative. We and a couple of other passengers were then told our flight was cancelled, this would also impact on the Flybe flight Paris Manchester (AF5022). No explanation was given.

We were THEN TOLD with no other option available that we would be travel via taxi to The Hilton in Mumbai and stay overnight. We arrived just prior to midnight. We were then given flights from Mumbai to Amsterdam (Jet Airways 9W 0232), departing at 0240. Amsterdam to Norwich (KLM Airways KL 1519), departing 13.45 and Norwich to Manchester (Logan Air LM0575), departing 14.40. All on 09/04/2018.

We finally landed in Manchester at approx. 1540 on 09/04/2018, 29. 5 hours later than our scheduled arrival.

My points are as Follows:

1) We lost the first day of our Holidays in Goa
    2) I had to re-book the internal flight from, Mumbai to Goa costing $249.80
    3) We arrived home almost 30 hours later than scheduled.
    4) Both myself and my wife had to take another day leave from work
    5) My daughter missed a school exam
    6) I had to pay for refreshments in Paris whilst waiting for luggage
    7) I had to pay for drinks whilst at the Ibis
    8) I had to pay for ALL drinks whilst in Mumbai
    9) I had to pay out of pocket expenses to keep family entertained whilst in Mumbai
    10) I had to pay for full refreshments whilst in Amsterdam
    11) I had to pay an exit fee from Norwich Airport
    12) One of the 3 suitcases had a hole in the side of it, due to exhaustion this was missed until we arrived home.

Thank you for all the help.

Regards

Gary
    Last edited by FOGGYSDAD1; 14-04-2018 at 1:30 AM.
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    You should claim from FlyBE for the outbound and AF for the return, assuming you had through tickets from MAN to BOM

Sounds like 600 Euros pp each way.

The relevant airline should also reimburse reasonable refreshments and taxis

And you should remove your booking reference from your post here
    • JPears
    • By JPears 14th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 3,585 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    JPears
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    Yes assuming, you had single ticket for the Manchester to mumbai journey you claim of Flybe for he outward journey. And Airfrance for the return delay.
    Your travel insurance should cover the additional cost of replacement flights.
    Damage to your suitcase is covered under the montreal convention I think.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,704Posts Today

8,742Users online

Martin's Twitter