Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sholmes2
    • By sholmes2 13th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sholmes2
    MOT 10 Day Limit
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    MOT 10 Day Limit 13th Apr 18 at 7:07 PM
    Hi everyone,

This is just a quick one, but slightly confusing.

My car failed its MOT test 10 days ago, today.I took the car to the same garage for the neccessary repairs for the earliest date the garage would allow me (Today), so exactly on the 10 day limit.

I left the car there at 8:30am. At 5pm i recieved a call saying the car wont be ready until tomorrow morning as they couldn't fit me in. This will however take the car into the 11th working day after the MOT fail.

Will i be required to pay for a full retest, or will i be able to get a free MOT partial test?

The Gov UK websites state it's up to 10 working days but is this a law?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Page 2
    • markudman
    • By markudman 17th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    markudman
    Since computerisation the car had to be logged on to the test computer in order to issue the pass. If that's done within the "free test" criteria then the garage doesn't get billed by DVSA for the retest. If it goes outside the free criteria (either because of time or the nature of the work) then the garage will have to psy DVSA for the test slot.

Also, if it's meant to be a full retest, the car will have to stay logged in for roughly the time a full test would take or risk questions from DVSA - if they say it's a full tedt and you finish it in 3 minutes they know you haven't done a full test! That not only costs a test slot, it prevents you logging another car onto the system for that test lane so potentially costs you a fulll test fee on top of the slot fee to DVLA.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    that's right the MOT slot is about £1.50, and whatever their hours labour is, thats if the garage has back to back MOT's and only one tester, if they have 2 Testers then one logs on to the current test and the other to the retest and goes and have a cup of tea LOL
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,929Posts Today

8,023Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin