Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sholmes2
    • By sholmes2 13th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sholmes2
    MOT 10 Day Limit
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    MOT 10 Day Limit 13th Apr 18 at 7:07 PM
    Hi everyone,

This is just a quick one, but slightly confusing.

My car failed its MOT test 10 days ago, today.I took the car to the same garage for the neccessary repairs for the earliest date the garage would allow me (Today), so exactly on the 10 day limit.

I left the car there at 8:30am. At 5pm i recieved a call saying the car wont be ready until tomorrow morning as they couldn't fit me in. This will however take the car into the 11th working day after the MOT fail.

Will i be required to pay for a full retest, or will i be able to get a free MOT partial test?

The Gov UK websites state it's up to 10 working days but is this a law?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Page 1
    • sholmes2
    • By sholmes2 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sholmes2
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    To be clear - they did have me booked in for the work, I believe a previous car took them longer than expected and this is why they didn't have the required time before they closed!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    You!!!8217;ll need to pay for a full test.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    In which case you'll negotiate with the garage for them to reduce their repairs charge by the amount of the retest fee. After all the reason for the retest fee is because of their (lack of) performance.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 13th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    The 10 working days is set in law so, if the fail was 10 calendar days ago (Tues 3rd) you're still within time for a partial retest.

Depending on the garage, they may or may not charge a partial retest fee - many won't charge even when they can, especially if you have the repairs done by them.
    • sholmes2
    • By sholmes2 13th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sholmes2
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    Lawfully, do I have a leg to stand on? It was in our oral agreement that they would fix the problem and do a retest free of charge.

The MOT only failed due to a leaking rear cylinder - which all in all wont take long to change.
    • sholmes2
    • By sholmes2 13th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sholmes2
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    Lawfully, do I have a leg to stand on? It was in our oral agreement that they would fix the problem and do a retest free of charge.

The MOT only failed due to a leaking rear cylinder - which all in all wont take long to change.
    Originally posted by sholmes2
    Edit: I don't have a problem paying 30, I just value my time better rather than waiting for a retest.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    The 10 working days is set in law so, if the fail was 10 calendar days ago (Tues 3rd) you're still within time for a partial retest.

Depending on the garage, they may or may not charge a partial retest fee - many won't charge even when they can, especially if you have the repairs done by them.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    It's 10 working days. Not calendar days so you get two weeks to take it back for a retest.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 13th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    You!!!8217;ll need to pay for a full test.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    What on earth is "!!!8217;"?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 19,904 Posts
    • 15,611 Thanks
    agrinnall
    What on earth is "!!!8217;"?
    Originally posted by aardvaak

Have you been in hibernation for the last couple of months? I suggest you take a look at a few more threads and you'll soon see it's by no means an isolated incident.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 13th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    It's 10 working days. Not calendar days so you get two weeks to take it back for a retest.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    yep, that's the point I was clumsily trying to make. If the fail was 10 CALENDAR days ago then the Op still has a couple of WORKING days left, so will still qualify for a reduced (or free depending on the garage's policy) retest.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 14th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    markudman
    The Garage has the choice to change or not, nothing to do with the government,
    Have you agreed on a price?
    if they appreciate your custom they will not charge you, if they do charge and your unhappy about it, find another garage that do appreciate your custom,
    Simples
    We may not win by protesting, but if we dont protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 14th Apr 18, 11:39 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    flashg67
    Retest is compulsory after 10 days, but the garage can decide whether they charge or not. Garage I worked at offered free retests as standard to pull in customers.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 15th Apr 18, 6:01 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Have you been in hibernation for the last couple of months? I suggest you take a look at a few more threads and you'll soon see it's by no means an isolated incident.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    As I have no idea what it means and have not seen it anywhere else - What does it !!!8217; mean?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    As I have no idea what it means and have not seen it anywhere else - What does it !!!8217; mean?
    A glitch in the system.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 15th Apr 18, 6:54 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    aardvaak
    A glitch in the system.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Thank you...................why not just say that?
    • facade
    • By facade 15th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    facade
    Thank you...................why not just say that?

It is caused by the forum's reaction to the smart punctuation used by Apple, who for some reason can't just send the code for an apostrophe like a "normal" machine.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 16th Apr 18, 8:45 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    I'd always assumed that garages did retests for free if they did the repair work because they didn't actually then need to do anything for the MOT other than update the system with a pass - or are there elements of the MOT that have to be done on a retest regardless of what the original failure was for?
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 16th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    I'd always assumed that garages did retests for free if they did the repair work because they didn't actually then need to do anything for the MOT other than update the system with a pass - or are there elements of the MOT that have to be done on a retest regardless of what the original failure was for?
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    Since computerisation the car had to be logged on to the test computer in order to issue the pass. If that's done within the "free test" criteria then the garage doesn't get billed by DVSA for the retest. If it goes outside the free criteria (either because of time or the nature of the work) then the garage will have to psy DVSA for the test slot.

Also, if it's meant to be a full retest, the car will have to stay logged in for roughly the time a full test would take or risk questions from DVSA - if they say it's a full tedt and you finish it in 3 minutes they know you haven't done a full test! That not only costs a test slot, it prevents you logging another car onto the system for that test lane so potentially costs you a fulll test fee on top of the slot fee to DVLA.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 16th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Raxiel
    It is caused by the forum's reaction to the smart punctuation used by Apple, who for some reason can't just send the code for an apostrophe like a "normal" machine.
    Originally posted by facade
    The forum used to be able to interpret the code correctly, but - allegedly to reduce spam - the powers that be adjusted the forum software a couple of months ago to restrict the uni-code characters it would accept. This had the side effect of rendering not only new posts from iDevices unintelligible, but every single historic post that contained smart punctuation. Given it doesn't seem to have made a dent in the amount of spam, I'd say that choice is overdue a rollback, but they may be waiting until the upcoming (https) changes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Our money-saving expert @MartinSLewis explains why he's had enough of the scams trying to trick victims using his name and?

• Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• Follow Martin