Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • special-one
    • By special-one 13th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    special-one
    State pension and esa
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    State pension and esa 13th Apr 18 at 7:01 PM
    When someone reaches state pension age and their partner is receiving ESA plus other benefits.
    How is it calculated as regards to any adjustment of ESA. I am asking for a friend who's husband is 65 in August, he seems to think that all his pension will be his and his partner will continue to get the same benefits as now. Any help please.
Page 1
    • Danday
    • By Danday 13th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Danday
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    When someone reaches state pension age and their partner is receiving ESA plus other benefits.
    How is it calculated as regards to any adjustment of ESA. I am asking for a friend who's husband is 65 in August, he seems to think that all his pension will be his and his partner will continue to get the same benefits as now. Any help please.
    Originally posted by special-one
    If on IB ESA, I would think that the state pension would be treated as income for the joint ESA claim.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 13th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Danday
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    If on IB ESA, I would think that the state pension would be treated as income for the joint ESA claim. This situation would have been resolved much easier had the government brought in the new Pension Credit rules.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    Originally Posted by Ames
    "I think newcomers to this forum need to bear in mind that this is a public site on which anyone can post. You can't assume information is trustworthy, indeed some posters are known to disrupt, post disinformation, and tell tall stories.

I would caution newcomers to be wary of any advice supplied that doesn't contain a link to an authoritative site. Such sites include adviceguide, entitled to, turn2us, revenuebenefits.
    Accredited benefit advice is available from local advice agencies such as Citizens Advice.

Please don't take horror stories about benefit assessments, appeals etc at face value. There are posters on here who whose aim seems to be to alarm, frighten, and generally dissuade OP's from pursuing sensible actions to claim / regain the right benefits.

Harmful and misleading posters are easily identified by the reaction to their posts."
    • special-one
    • By special-one 13th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    special-one
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    I believe it's contribution based ESA, as she is disabled she gets other benefits and he gets carers allowance.
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 13th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    [B] contributions based benefit has nothing to do with being it has to do with National Insurance contributions.

No one here can advise on the situation until it is clarified if the ESA is income related or contribution based/B]
    • special-one
    • By special-one 13th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    special-one
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    I just said that it is CONTRIBUTION BASED!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Apr 18, 10:40 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:40 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:40 PM
    ]I just said that it is CONTRIBUTION BASED[/B]!
    by special-one;74159104[B
    I believe it's contribution based ESA, as she is disabled she gets other benefits and he gets carers allowance.
    You said you believe it's Contribution based, that doesn't tell us for sure that's what your friend is claiming. You need to ask your friend exactly what they're claiming because otherwise people can't advise properly and you could get given the incorrect advice.

Either that or your friend can contact their local CAB for further advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,395Posts Today

6,639Users online

Martin's Twitter