Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nadine12
    • By nadine12 13th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 11Thanks
    nadine12
    Advice needed re paying off CCJ
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    Advice needed re paying off CCJ 13th Apr 18 at 6:58 PM
    After some advice as above please. I have a ccj which was issued in 2016, long story short to a house I own but was not living in. Did not receive paperwork from tenant in time and so was unable to challenge it at the time despite it being a very old debt( So I fully acknowledge that this needs paying). Anyway according to the paperwork the ccj is for £1044.66, owed to ME111 Ltd (previously an Argos debt) and being dealt with by Restons solicitors.
    Iím trying to clean up my credit file and have got some money together to pay this off in full, which I have phoned to do today. However....Restons now say the debt has gone up by another 200 odd pounds due to their Ďfeesí from obtaining a charging order against the house (have checked the register, itís not actually a charging order but a restriction) and they say I would also have to pay £120 to have it removed!! Can they add these extra charges??? Iím really disappointed as I need this cleared and marked as Ďsatisfiedí due to having to complete a rent application and I donít have this extra 300 odd pounds. Any advice would be welcome thanks!
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 12,701 Posts
    • 9,765 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    It sounds legitimate. They got the ccj, then secured it by a charging order. All the court costs, plus solicitor costs, in those two processes would become part of the sum due.

The reason it shows as a restriction is that the debt is in a sole name but the house is jointly owned.

I wish I could think of something clever you could do at this stage but I'm struggling
    • nadine12
    • By nadine12 13th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    nadine12
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    On the phone they tried to get me to pay what I was going to pay then set up a payment plan for the remainder - however, the ccj wouldnít be marked as satisfied until it was all paid? My argument was that if the ccj register and my credit file both say £1044.66, surely if I pay that then itís satisfied and should be marked satisfied? The charging order paperwork (which I had off the tenant eventually, still too late though) didnít make any reference to fees or costs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

2,442Users online

Martin's Twitter