Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penguin2017
    • By Penguin2017 13th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Penguin2017
    Landlord active in Notice period
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    Landlord active in Notice period 13th Apr 18 at 6:52 PM
    We gave 2 months notice to exit our tenancy and our agent/landlord have become very active (rightly so I guess)..however, he has insisted on reviewing the house for any damages now and wants to do it 2 weekly till we leave, and is scheduling viewings for future tenants as & when possible

Is this acceptable? Once he reviews the house, he will ask me to fix things, and review again. I would like to avoid this ongoing discussion over 2 months (rather have it once) AND also would like to have few slots for future tenant viewings vs. anytime possible

Whats the protocol in exiting tenancy?
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    What does your tenancy agreement say about inspections/viewings?

I believe that 2 weekly inspections would be seen as unenforceable, but at least this way you have a chance to fix any issues yourself instead of having money taken from your deposit (which you wouldn't have with the usual post checkout inspection).
    Last edited by Slithery; 13-04-2018 at 7:01 PM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 13th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 7,787 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    I would write to him and say such a procedure is a violation of my right to quiet enjoyment. I am agreeable to one inspection on a mutually agreed date x days before end of tenancy, and will permit viewings on y dates between the hours of a & b.

What is he going to do? It probably won't improve relations between you but it doesn't sound like relations are any good anyway.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 45,032 Posts
    • 53,682 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    It is quite helpful to have an advance 'review' of the house before you leave. The LL can advise you of things you should fix, giving you time to fix them. That way you protect your depost.

But
    a) just because he says something must be be fixed does not mean automatically he's right. If you disagree, ignore him. If he deducts from your deposit, use the scheme arbitration process

b) 2 weekly reviews is ridiculous. Write to him, (letter) politely, thanking him for his offer to help you prepare for departure, and agreeing to one inspection but telling him additional inspections wwll not be needed. do not be confrontational, but make your position clear.

In the same letter, let him know you are happy to allow reasonable viewings by prospctive tenants provided you get advance notice of date/time and agree that it is convenient.

Do you want to be present for these or are you happy for him to do them while you are out? Make clear which!

If you fear he might ignore you and just let himself in, change the locks. Keep the old lock and replace it when you leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAo7zSN-9o
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    martindow
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    I suspect that he is trying to badger you into making the house like a show home so he can show prospective tenants round.

There is no reason to go along with this and I would live normally in the house and would not go to any particular trouble doing extra tidying or cleaning. You can live as you wish - the LL's only concern should be the condition the house is in when you leave

I suspect this LL thinks he can show people around whenever suits him, possibly letting himself in unannounced. You may need to be assertive possibly giving specified times that would suit you - Wednesdays 6-8pm and Saturday mornings for instance.
    Last edited by martindow; 14-04-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

8,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin