Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 13th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 239Posts
    • 4,745Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    A simpler life - version 2.0
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    A simpler life - version 2.0 13th Apr 18 at 5:55 PM
    Hello everyone

Looks like the board has decided to declutter itself in order to life more simply and our lovely tread has been sent to the tip or the chazzer... I guess, as with many other treads, we won't get it back, so I hope it is ok that I start a new one.

I don't think I am doing too good at the moment. I am ok on the not-buying-stuff-I-don't-need/that-don't-spark-joy side of things but I'm failing on the looking after myself side by doing simple things that make me happy. So I definitively have to make that a priority, espcially since I'm expecting a busy time at work as one of my coworker is on holiday for 6 week. As long nothing mayor happens in this time it should work out fairly ok, but my work is known for everything happening at once when you are least prepared for it...

On a positive note though I will finally have a working sewing machine again. The pedal of my electrical sewing machine that I got from my great aunt - she bought it about 40 years ago and used it about 5 times... - broke down a while ago, and so far I haven't managed to find a replacement pedal... I also have a 60+ years old pedal powered sewing machine, which works fine as long the fabric is rather stiff and heavy, so I can shorten jeans but I can't work with jersey and that like, which means she is lovely to have but not really usefull... So now my granny decided that she doesn't need her sewing machine anymore and I can have it. I'll go over tomorrow to pick it up. In return for getting the sewing machine I'll do her sewing in the future, which is basically shortening a pair of trousers once in a blue moon....

Plan for tonight is starting this looking-after-myself-business and going to bed with a book at eight and lights out at nine. I have started to listen to the Shipping Forecast to help me go to sleep So far it hasn't really worked, I guess before long I will know all the sea areas and the coastal stations...
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
Page 2
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 16th Apr 18, 7:48 AM
    • 6,831 Posts
    • 43,023 Thanks
    Pooky
    Hi,the apostrophes have nothing to do with mse. It is to do with your phone setting. I had the same problem but googled it and sorted it out. Go to settings then to general. Then to keyboard and the turn off 'smart punctuation' and the problem will disappear.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    You're a star!!!! I've been wondering how to do that. Thank you.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • wort
    • By wort 16th Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 9,767 Thanks
    wort
    Mrs sd I'm glad you have support now.
    Hand cream I use loads of, I think in the main it's to apply as often as possible. There's a a garnier one in green tube, that I like, £1.99 from body care. Intensive seven day she a butter for dry chapped hands.its light enough during the day not greasy.
    But any thick one like s body butter or even vaseline, put cotton gloves over the top and wear to bed. Cotton gloves are available from boot s I think. Body shop used to do a hemp one not the best smell but quite effective my brother used it for psoriasis.
    I've been using up some old suncream at the side of kitchen sink!
    Last edited by wort; 16-04-2018 at 8:28 AM.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • emiai
    • By emiai 16th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 25,156 Thanks
    emiai
    Thanks for the replies guys, the cotton gloves idea sounds great and I will look up Clarins & Garnier for reviews now. The cream I used has been helping, I feel much less rigid and sore. Work doesn't supply any but I might leave some at work for others to use too.

I'm cooking some brownies this morning, had the packet half price as the box was crushed.. I fear they will all be eaten before the children get home.

Keep us up to date MrsSD - you can always rant here if things are stressing you too much! Sending love back!

Have a super week all, the sun in shining.. hopefully I can mow the lawns this weekend if it all dries out.
    GC 2018 NSDs = 45/87 and counting
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
    • maryb
    • By maryb 16th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 44,531 Thanks
    maryb
    I've just turned off smart punctuation and now I'm trying to think of things to say with apostrophes to see if it's the answer
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 16th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 44,531 Thanks
    maryb
    It is
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

We have had a fairly successful start to the French decluttering
    20 or more black bin bags of stuff for the Tip (10 gone already), 2 Large recycling bins filled to the brim, 1 box of English children’s books packed for English cs, a pile of stuff set aside for nephew to take & a pile of stuff ready for the sale my DSis is having (prices to range from €1 to €5) & if not sold straight to Tip

She was doing the ‘flit around’ method of decluttering - start in one place find something she wants to keep & move somewhere else. Apparently loads of stuff was being binned but you couldn’t tell by looking DSis was most miffed when I asked if she had done anything

So please keep your fingers crossed for me

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Ricardaracoon,

A Simpler Life 2018 appears to be back on page 3 of the contents list I am about to try & post so wish me luck

Now on page one of contents list - so all our lovely info is back

MrsSD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 19-04-2018 at 4:37 PM. Reason: New info
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

981Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter