Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 13th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 247Posts
    • 4,869Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    A simpler life - version 2.0
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    A simpler life - version 2.0 13th Apr 18 at 5:55 PM
    Hello everyone

Looks like the board has decided to declutter itself in order to life more simply and our lovely tread has been sent to the tip or the chazzer... I guess, as with many other treads, we won't get it back, so I hope it is ok that I start a new one.

I don't think I am doing too good at the moment. I am ok on the not-buying-stuff-I-don't-need/that-don't-spark-joy side of things but I'm failing on the looking after myself side by doing simple things that make me happy. So I definitively have to make that a priority, espcially since I'm expecting a busy time at work as one of my coworker is on holiday for 6 week. As long nothing mayor happens in this time it should work out fairly ok, but my work is known for everything happening at once when you are least prepared for it...

On a positive note though I will finally have a working sewing machine again. The pedal of my electrical sewing machine that I got from my great aunt - she bought it about 40 years ago and used it about 5 times... - broke down a while ago, and so far I haven't managed to find a replacement pedal... I also have a 60+ years old pedal powered sewing machine, which works fine as long the fabric is rather stiff and heavy, so I can shorten jeans but I can't work with jersey and that like, which means she is lovely to have but not really usefull... So now my granny decided that she doesn't need her sewing machine anymore and I can have it. I'll go over tomorrow to pick it up. In return for getting the sewing machine I'll do her sewing in the future, which is basically shortening a pair of trousers once in a blue moon....

Plan for tonight is starting this looking-after-myself-business and going to bed with a book at eight and lights out at nine. I have started to listen to the Shipping Forecast to help me go to sleep So far it hasn't really worked, I guess before long I will know all the sea areas and the coastal stations...
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
Page 1
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 13th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    Hello ricarda

Terrible about the original thread.

I have decluttered the office today after a very busy couple of weeks. It is now looking tidy(er).

I am also doing well with not spending - to be fair I've not had much time to spend very recently. I have made sure everything is in order here so I can take care of myself all weekend. I have a loaf in the breadmaker, all washing done and food shopping done. Everywhere is clean too. Will do a bit of chazzer shopping in the morning. Am planning a couple of National Trust visits with friends next week if the great weather that is forecast materialises.

Hope you get to take care of yourself this weekend

Bexster
    • panagia
    • By panagia 13th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    panagia
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    Hello everyone

Looks like the board has decided to declutter itself in order to life more simply and our lovely tread has been sent to the tip or the chazzer... I guess, as with many other treads, we won't get it back, so I hope it is ok that I start a new one.

I don't think I am doing too good at the moment. I am ok on the not-buying-stuff-I-don't-need/that-don't-spark-joy side of things but I'm failing on the looking after myself side by doing simple things that make me happy. So I definitively have to make that a priority, espcially since I'm expecting a busy time at work as one of my coworker is on holiday for 6 week. As long nothing mayor happens in this time it should work out fairly ok, but my work is known for everything happening at once when you are least prepared for it...

On a positive note though I will finally have a working sewing machine again. The pedal of my electrical sewing machine that I got from my great aunt - she bought it about 40 years ago and used it about 5 times... - broke down a while ago, and so far I haven't managed to find a replacement pedal... I also have a 60+ years old pedal powered sewing machine, which works fine as long the fabric is rather stiff and heavy, so I can shorten jeans but I can't work with jersey and that like, which means she is lovely to have but not really usefull... So now my granny decided that she doesn't need her sewing machine anymore and I can have it. I'll go over tomorrow to pick it up. In return for getting the sewing machine I'll do her sewing in the future, which is basically shortening a pair of trousers once in a blue moon....

Plan for tonight is starting this looking-after-myself-business and going to bed with a book at eight and lights out at nine. I have started to listen to the Shipping Forecast to help me go to sleep So far it hasn't really worked, I guess before long I will know all the sea areas and the coastal stations...
    Originally posted by RicardaRacoon
    My sewing machine needs servicing, but I don't know how much this costs. It's never been done, and I inherited the machine from someone else. I'm wondering whether to save up for a new one or try and get some more life out of this old one. It's a Brother sewing machine, probably about 10-15 years old by now, at least.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Apr 18, 1:53 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 10,509 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:53 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 1:53 AM
    Hi guys,

Typical that the thread I NEEDED to reread while I am in France is the one that has gone to that great cyber heaven

Quick recap:-

My DSis has sold her very large house & gite after 8 years on the market. DH & I have come over to help her empty the house. However, she has done so little that I am now in a deep state of depression & DH doesnít actually arrive until late Sunday

She has no idea what the buyers want to purchase by way of furniture etc, so we donít know what to sell or junk. She will be moving in with us - her room is half the size, if that, of her current bedroom & will be full with a double bed & a bedside cabinet. There are four enormous bedrooms to sort, a large dining room, a large living room a large kitchen, another very large kitchen - both kitchens with LOADS of full cupboards, Then there are two large bathrooms, three other rooms & various sheds/outbuildings. I could cry

We had done pretty well in trying to prepare for arrival Her bedroom is completely redecorated - new carpets, curtains, blinds & new paint - ready for her bed. Our open plan dining room is completely empty ready for her boxes to be stacked like a warehouse. I have made numerous trips to the cs, my DH has made dozens of trips to the Tip ( on his motorbike) our living room is tidy & our bedroom is reasonably tidy & the kitchen was completely refitted three years ago but we have two rooms of doom & every cupboard including the Understairs cupboard is a pit of Doom. We need to decorate everywhere & have a new bathroom fitted.

Having depressed myself, I have to go in case the net falls over.

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 16,176 Thanks
    villagelife
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    MrsSD you have worked so hard to get your house ready it must be depressing to have to redo the same and more at your SIL.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2,186 Posts
    • 22,290 Thanks
    csarina2
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    'My sewing machine needs servicing, but I don't know how much this costs. It's never been done, and I inherited the machine from someone else. I'm wondering whether to save up for a new one or try and get some more life out of this old one. It's a Brother sewing machine, probably about 10-15 years old by now, at least'

Have a look in your local paper for Brother dealers and also sewing machine mechanics, ask for a quote for a service. I have a computerised machine and mine costs £125. I have it done each year. It will cost you a lot more than that for a decent machine. If you go onto the net and look for dealers you can price up a new machine, BUT you need to see before you buy if you decide to go down that route......I always advise people to buy a machine that does a bit more than a basic machine, you need to have a few options.

Personally I am a Janome girl and have been for over 40 years, I worked for them selling dewing machines many years ago.
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 14th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    Bon courage, the French say like Bon appetit, except courage instead. Better than our English "Keep smiling", MrsSD. I really feel for you. You may know this already, but here goes , in case it might help. Ask your DSis if she has any English free magazines that are printed for the Brits in France, In it she may find Brit Charity shops who will at least take the stuff away. Also a quick advert in her regional site of Anglo-Info ,on web, would let you tell an audience that you are selling loads of house contents. A stiff drink for you might help!!Another last resort is Emmaus -the charity who may be active in her area and will collect everything.I would advise you to be very very strong, about what you want her to bring into her home.I know what you must feel like. Three days before the deadline - my sister was to help me clear out our mother's house, a letter arrived saying she was too grief-stricken to come. So, I had to sort out the auction stuff, the charity shop stuff who both came on the same day and that day,,my son and I packed our car with the stuff we wanted. It was manic and panic. So,remember you are very generously welcoming her into your home and you and DH are being very good to her. Has she a DS or DD who could help her? best wishes.
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 14th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 4,869 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    Oh dear MrsSaladDodger, that sounds like a mess... I know you might not want an argument with her now that she is coming to stay with you, but maybe you should tell her that it is time for her to start to take actions... Or at least make sure that she sits down asap and finds answers to a few important questions like what stays for the buyer, what comes with her, what goes to the tip /chazzer / garage sale...

I had a pretty lazy day, didn't really got a move an until the late afternoon, which is a shame as tomorrow I'll have to work from ten till about two which means leaving the house at quarter past nine, back round three and on to my parents for dinner at five...

Went over to Grannys to pick up the sewing machine, which seams to be in tiptop condition and can do much more than I expected. I googled the model number and it seems to be a more upmarket version of the standard model with slightly more special stitches and more feet. A similar model is still manufactured for people who don't want a fancy, computerised, machine. Granny said she bought the machine when she retired, which makes her about my age.
    We then sat and had coffee and a natter, which was mainly politics - at age 86 Granny is still very much interessted in politics and what goes on in the world, maybe even more than when my grandad was still alive 20 years ago because back then she left policits and the news to him.... - and some stories about my Grandad and his friends and the stuff they did when they were drunk... One night they ended up at my grandparents house when the pub closed and one fo them decided to cook them a decent meal.. Their after-midnight-feast was soup consisting of chicken stock, flour browned in butter and a head of lettuce...

Enjoy your NT visits Baxter! That remindes me, I need to renew the memberships for my sister and me... According to my sister, the best thing about the NT by the way are the jacket potatos that most of their cafeterias serve... :-)

Panagia, I second csarina, when you can get it serviced for a decent price and it does all you need it to do you can have it serviced times and times for the money you'd spend on a new one.
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
  • archived user
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    My DSis has sold her very large house & gite after 8 years on the market. DH & I have come over to help her empty the house. However, she has done so little that I am now in a deep state of depression & DH doesnít actually arrive until late Sunday
    I dont understand why your having to do it at all. Her house and all that.

A simpler life.... ive persuaded my Son to part with two of his huge skateboards.

Hes 22 and hasnt skateboarded since he was 17. At least i can get into the cupboard where the gas boiler is now without having one or either of them fall on me.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 14th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 3,644 Posts
    • 7,474 Thanks
    JCS1
    Long time lurker - another thread disappeared, what are the people at MSE Towers doing other than nothing?
  • archived user
    Long time lurker - another thread disappeared, what are the people at MSE Towers doing other than nothing?
    Originally posted by JCS1
    Im presuming theyve got their hands full with the amount of spam thats being posted.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 14th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 20,782 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    I was following the old thread, I know forums like this must be entertaining to maintain, however there are very basic things that just are not being done like being able to use apostrophes!

I am de lurking for Panagia, DH and I have a phaff sewing machine we absolutely love. We did a lot of research into getting it serviced and found a little local-ish shop which was fantastic, they also advised us that they loved the machine and to keep it as new machines are made very differently, perhaps not to the quality we are now used to.

We needed to wait about a fortnight as they are popular, I can!!!8217;t remember what the service cost exactly as we also needed a repair, but I think it was just under £100. If you find a good place they will be able to advise you if it is worth servicing.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 33,680 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    De-lurking to lament the passing of the first thread, and to say that I normally pay £60-odd for a sewing machine service down here on the South Coast. Three keen stitchers in this house mean we have a lovely big computerised Pfaff, a sturdy Bernina 1008S, a 1960s Bernina 707, and a much-loved 1909 Jones Medium treadle, not to mention an overlocker (Janome) and an embellisher (also a Pfaff) - and a few odd handcranks, including a tiny old German long-bobbin one that has been known to come camping with us! They all do different things best... two of us do sometimes sell the things we make, and I can service the machines that don't use electricity myself, so I'm not always bothering our lovely local repairman!

Your vacuum is your sewing machine's best friend, after the oil bottle - lint or old thread stuck in the feed dogs or bobbin race causes about 50% of problems, and hoovering out the lint & fluff regularly really helps your machine work well. Most of the rest, especially problems that look like the tension's gone, are caused by threading glitches; I spent years mis-threading one of mine & wondering why it kept going wrong! Also - use the right needle and the right thread for each different job, and you won't need to get it serviced too often.
    Angie

GC Aug 18 - £289.33/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £145.26/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £160.45/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Charis
    • By Charis 14th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 13,600 Thanks
    Charis
    Thank you for reopening the thread, Ricarda. I missed it.
    • emiai
    • By emiai 15th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 25,202 Thanks
    emiai
    Yes, Thanks for restarting this thread. It is a place I went to often when I needed inspiration. I love reading everyone's comments.

I am still decluttering and trying to transfer a lot of my bills to be digital now, so i'm opting for paperless. I also made my passwords more secure in light of this.

I started a new job recently, and my hands are so dry and sore.. I bought some hand and nail cream from tesco (Conditioning with pro vitamin b5) today to try to give it some moisture. Its because I have to use a lot of that alcohol rub - and I'm just not used to it. Any recommendations for a good trusted hand cream?

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
    GC 2018 NSDs = 105/200 and counting
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
    • wort
    • By wort 15th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 10,342 Thanks
    wort
    Mrs sd, I really feel for you, I know how hard you've worked to kondo your own home.
    Is your sister moving in with you temporarily or permanent? If permanent I'm afraid I would be telling her to get rid of everything apart from clothes and sentimental things. After all its your home and I certainly wouldn't want boxes everywhere, anything that won't fit in her bed room would have to go.
    If it's temporary could she not put things into storage or maybe ask someone with a garage to store some things?
    With regard to clearing now I'm afraid if she won't help then I would get house clearance in to move it all.
    I wish you luck, and hope you don't think I'm being harsh but if you and your sister love each other there's got to be give and take and you are already giving a lot by offering your home to her.
    I have 4 sisters by the way, and would do the same with them.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 10,509 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your advice & insights. I am feeling a little bit better after reading your posts & my DH is about to arrive & he seems to be able to get through to my sister in a way I cannot - I am obviously too emotionally invested . My DSis does have a DS but he has two service jobs because he flunked school & didnít take his Baccalaureate - so his options are limited. He has made some poor choices & he is more of a hoarder than either I or my DSis were at his age (27)

DH has phoned a couple of times & points out that we are VERY fortunate that we have money & what is the point of it if we cannot use it

Not sure if it is a temporary or permanent thing but we will take it as it comes. See already more optimistic - it is a wonder to me how I managed to get such a wonderful husband When He is down I am the more optimistic & when I am down he is the more optimistic It has worked well for over 25 years of marriage

Anyway he has just arrived - didnít even give him time to take his helmet off before I got my first hug & kiss!

So I will love you & leave you and thank you all again for your words of wisdom all around or wine if that is your preference

MrsSD
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I was following the old thread, I know forums like this must be entertaining to maintain, however there are very basic things that just are not being done like being able to use apostrophes!

I am de lurking for Panagia, DH and I have a phaff sewing machine we absolutely love. We did a lot of research into getting it serviced and found a little local-ish shop which was fantastic, they also advised us that they loved the machine and to keep it as new machines are made very differently, perhaps not to the quality we are now used to.

We needed to wait about a fortnight as they are popular, I can!!!8217;t remember what the service cost exactly as we also needed a repair, but I think it was just under £100. If you find a good place they will be able to advise you if it is worth servicing.
    Originally posted by Purple kitten
    Hi,the apostrophes have nothing to do with mse. It is to do with your phone setting. I had the same problem but googled it and sorted it out. Go to settings then to general. Then to keyboard and the turn off 'smart punctuation' and the problem will disappear.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 +
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Yes, Thanks for restarting this thread. It is a place I went to often when I needed inspiration. I love reading everyone's comments.

I am still decluttering and trying to transfer a lot of my bills to be digital now, so i'm opting for paperless. I also made my passwords more secure in light of this.

I started a new job recently, and my hands are so dry and sore.. I bought some hand and nail cream from tesco (Conditioning with pro vitamin b5) today to try to give it some moisture. Its because I have to use a lot of that alcohol rub - and I'm just not used to it. Any recommendations for a good trusted hand cream?

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
    Originally posted by emiai
    Hello, lurker to be old thread. Loved reading how you are all simplifying your lives. I am trying to do the same.
    Hand cream - best I have found and I get very dry hands and my husband can use it - he has eczema - Clarin's hand cream. Not the cheapest but works.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 +
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Apr 18, 6:31 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 16,176 Thanks
    villagelife
    Emiai does your work supply hand cream. It may not be very good but it does help if you use it throughout the day and then use a decent one at the end of work and also at the start of the day.

I'm slowly decluttering which makes life simpler as cleaning is quicker. I cleaned my kitchen cupboards and rearranged them and is much easier to use.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

6,623Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin