Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 12,148Posts
    • 8,219Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    MS Money.....
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    MS Money..... 13th Apr 18 at 5:17 PM
    Not perhaps the correct forum but I want some techie savvy answers rather than "I wanna buy xyz".

I want a replacement for MS Money which I currently run on a Mac via Parallels. I don't use it to it's fullest potential but I do like how it is set out. Is there anything that I can run without Parallels - ie properly Mac based?

I want it to be able to reconcile my statements myself and I don't need it to be connected (online interface) but I would like it to sync across the various devices I have.

Google shows me lots but I would love to hear from someone who actually uses something and can recommend it.

Thanks for any suggestions - I don't mind paying but only if it really is as good as Money.
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    When I migrated to a MacBook 6 years ago, I did the same using Parallels. After a short period I moved to use iBank which is now Banktivity. I was able to export all my years of MSMoney data without any problem. It was a little different to use but I soon got used to it and am a happy user.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    When I migrated to a MacBook 6 years ago, I did the same using Parallels. After a short period I moved to use iBank which is now Banktivity. I was able to export all my years of MSMoney data without any problem. It was a little different to use but I soon got used to it and am a happy user.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Thanks Tadley, does it have the capacity to sync across imac/phone etc? I actually don't need any migration help as I'm happy to reconcile on x date and start afresh, but I do want the multi platform usage.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 13-04-2018 at 5:38 PM.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Apr 18, 5:40 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:40 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:40 PM
    Yes. It uses the cloud for syncing. I have it on my Mac, iPad and iPhone and it syncs seamlessly.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    Thanks Tadley, what version do you have? I'm doing a bit of research now and it seems to vary. Also, do you pay for a version or is it ongoing (monthly/annually)?
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    The version on my Mac is 6.3.1, iPhone is 4.0.4, iPad is 3.5.8.

I paid a one-off fee and nothing ongoing. They did have a paid sync service that used their servers but that was phased out a few years ago I think.
    • fiendishlyclever
    • By fiendishlyclever 13th Apr 18, 10:05 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    fiendishlyclever
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:05 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:05 PM
    I used Moneywiz across iOS, Android and Windows. Similar in some ways to money and lets you reconcile statements etc. You need an adjustment period to get used to the Moneywiz way of working. I bought most of the versions on special offer. Stopped using any software when I simplified my finances !!!55357;!!!56832;
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    Loved Microsoft Money, still have my Money 2004 CD-ROM somewhere.

Stopped using it years ago though.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    Loved Microsoft Money, still have my Money 2004 CD-ROM somewhere.

Stopped using it years ago though.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    That's the problem, I love it. Mine is 2004 too! Such a brilliant program. I'm going to have to download a few and have a play with the free trial periods to see how I get on.
    • tronator
    • By tronator 14th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    tronator
    I use MMEX

https://www.moneymanagerex.org/
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    pmduk
    I like Mmex as well, but not used it on a Mac
    • Techno_Mystic
    • By Techno_Mystic 14th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Techno_Mystic
    There is also Accountz:

https://www.accountz.com/products/home-accountz

I used it until the banking crash of 2008, after which I decided that there was no point keeping track of my finances anymore as the bankers/politicians will just f- it up.

Also, when Microsoft and Quicken withdrew from the market they put the price up from 10 to 40. That's was it. I'm done.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Originally posted by tronator
    I downloaded that today but it doesn't have a reconcile function. Or perhaps I didn't find it?
    • tronator
    • By tronator 14th Apr 18, 10:42 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    tronator
    I downloaded that today but it doesn't have a reconcile function. Or perhaps I didn't find it?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    If you mean by that marking a transaction as reconciled, there is. Press "R" or right click and chose "Mark As Reconciled"
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 15th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    I still use Microsoft Money - runs fine, and I haven't found anything to match it.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I still use Microsoft Money - runs fine, and I haven't found anything to match it.
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    Yes I still use it. However it's the ONLY reason I use windows (via parallels) on my Mac and I don't want to use parallels/windows any more.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    If you mean by that marking a transaction as reconciled, there is. Press "R" or right click and chose "Mark As Reconciled"
    I want a reconcile function like MS Money has. The only way I can see is to use the "mark as reconciled" rather than the software actually reconciling function i.e. it's a manual function and not one the software actually can do.
    • tronator
    • By tronator 15th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    tronator
    I want a reconcile function like MS Money has. The only way I can see is to use the "mark as reconciled" rather than the software actually reconciling function i.e. it's a manual function and not one the software actually can do.
    If you could tell us what the "reconcile function like MS Money has" is...

You say that you don't want to connect online, so how would MS Money know what to reconcile?

Watching this video I can't see what MS Money does differently. It's a manual process there too.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    If you could tell us what the "reconcile function like MS Money has" is...

You say that you don't want to connect online, so how would MS Money know what to reconcile?

Watching this video I can't see what MS Money does differently. It's a manual process there too.
    The reconcile feature in Money means you have your actual bank statement and enter the final balance into Money. You then 'reconcile' each transaction as it appears on the statement. Money automatically adjusts for the reconcile.

The reconcile function MMEX is not the same. The reconcile function is completely manual, as in, it doesn't add/subtract the reconcile in the same way.

Edit - I watched the video but it wasn't Money and it wasn't how it reconciles.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 16-04-2018 at 9:12 PM.
    • tronator
    • By tronator 16th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    tronator
    The reconcile function MMEX is not the same. The reconcile function is completely manual, as in, it doesn't add/subtract the reconcile in the same way.
    Not?

If you try to find a program, which does everything exactly as MS Money, then you will search forever. You should learn to adapt to different programs.
    Last edited by tronator; 16-04-2018 at 9:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin