Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steviechal
    • By steviechal 13th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    steviechal
    Car insurance false information
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    Car insurance false information 13th Apr 18 at 5:10 PM
    My wife called our car insurer to add another driver and it was then mentioned that I had 5 points that I had forgotten to declare last year. The insurance company told my wife that they would cancel the policy within 14 days or we should provide the correct offence details and then they would adjust the premiums. I have supplied the correct details of points and now they are telling my wife that they want nearly 300 each (two cars insured) back pay and only then will they give us an idea of what our premiums will be going forward. I have gone online and conducted a search adding all points that we both have and also added that we have had insurance cancelled and the quotes I get back are only a few more per car than we are paying now. Is the current company attempting bully tactics to get the 600 from us? are they entitled to claim back pay? this was a genuine mistake that is obvious by the fact that we openly talked about it when trying to add someone to our policy. We have not attempted to make any form of claim and then been found out. My personal opinion after reading a few articles is to let them cancel the policy and open a new policy with someone else and ensure that we are transparent. Opinions please.....
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    You don't have a lot of choice, having insurance cancelled or voided will severely ramp up future insurance costs.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 4,769 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    when asked the question online any convictions within the last 5 years, you answered no?

From your OP you did this ?deliberately and the insurers are letting you off by giving you a choice to cancel the policy yourself than end up with a cancelled by insurer mark on your name.

You do not 'forget' points, you are now paying for the actions of your past
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,660 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    You don't have a lot of choice, having insurance cancelled or voided will severely ramp up future insurance costs.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie

did you read the 1st post

"I have gone online and conducted a search adding all points that we both have and also added that we have had insurance cancelled and the quotes I get back are only a few more per car than we are paying now"
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    Yep and I don't believe it, having cancelled insurance is a big red flag. So unless they were already paying way over the odds, it's unlikely to make a few pounds difference.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 13th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 20,556 Posts
    • 12,743 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    I would be interested to read the articles the op refers to that recommend someone in the ops situation is better to let an insurer cancel your policy and take out a new policy.

I think the op will learn an expensive lesson if they took this path
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 14th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    I would be interested to read the articles the op refers to that recommend someone in the ops situation is better to let an insurer cancel your policy and take out a new policy.

I think the op will learn an expensive lesson if they took this path
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Honest John?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • Rest001
    • By Rest001 20th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rest001
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    If your insurer is a well-known company it is highly unlikely they are trying to "cheat" you out of 600.
    Had you provided the correct details to them at the time this is the price they would have offered you at that time. The rate they price your insurance will no doubt be built into their systems pricing.
    Unfortunately the fault is yours not theirs.
    If the cost with them is slightly more online (The cost of insurance can change drastically daily) I would advise you speak to the agent and ask if they would be willing to waive or reduce the cancellation fee if you set back up with them - they don't have to do this, and if you've jump to conclusions and given them grief before they probably wont but its worth a chance.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 20th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 20,556 Posts
    • 12,743 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    Honest John?
    Originally posted by rudekid48
    Reminds me of this one...

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/99382/my-daughter-s-previous-insurer-didn-t-notify-her-of-a-ccj-against-her---should-they-indemnify-her-

The person posing the question gives the correct answer in their question, however...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin