Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZZL
    • By ZZL 13th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ZZL
    0 WOW
    Paying for hotel in UK or Portugal - Half being transferred either way
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    0 WOW
    Paying for hotel in UK or Portugal - Half being transferred either way 13th Apr 18 at 4:58 PM
    Good afternoon,

Looking for a bit of advice as have not done much travelling in my life so far

I have a friend who moved back home to Portugal earlier last year, and I've planned a visit in August for 5 nights

We are going to rent an Airbnb together and split the cost down the middle (just over 360 in total)

Now I know Martin would always recommend paying in local currency when purchasing/withdrawing abroad

But my question, as we would be paying for the accommodation in advance: Would it be best for myself to pay the whole amount in and my friend bank transfer his part to me, or the reverse?

If it makes any difference at all I bank with Nationwide, Santander and Halifax, so can use any of them to transfer

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 21,016 Posts
    • 16,802 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    I'd recommend that you just pay a small deposit now and the balance when you get there to ensure that the property actually exists. But whatever you decide I'd suggest that it's more sensible for your friend to pay it so that's a transaction entirely within the Portuguese banking system. And you should transfer money to him by whatever is the cheapest reliable method, that's unlikely to be Nationwide, I don't know about Santander or Halifax but a better option may be a currency broker such as Transferwise.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 13th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    Airbnb rip you off on the currency conversion so definately get your friend to book it in Euros.

Revolut sounds like a good choice for this - each download the app and sign up, you can then transfer the money to him at the real exchange rate (during the week) with no fees.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,818 Posts
    • 1,988 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    Both of you sign up for Revolut, using the MSE link to obtain free card delivery (nor sure about to Portugal). Thor card is useful but not required to convert and send send each other funds instantly.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

No need to suffer banking or PayPal fees and exchange rates.
    Last edited by eDicky; 14-04-2018 at 9:41 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,423Posts Today

7,819Users online

Martin's Twitter