Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • username2019
    • By username2019 13th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    username2019
    Terminating an employee that has raised a grievance
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    Terminating an employee that has raised a grievance 13th Apr 18 at 4:26 PM
    Hi I was wondering if we had any HR people on here? I'm a manager in a small business and I report directly to the owner. A member of my team has recently submitted a grievance that she feels she is being discriminated against and treated less favourably than male colleagues. We are deeply sorry that she feels this way but now feel that there has been a breakdown in the relationship and that she would be better moving on to other employment.

I'm aware that raising a grievance on a protected characteristic means this is now a tricky process but can we still dismiss her? She's had less than 2 years service so is unable to claim unfair dismissal.
Page 4
    • stator
    • By stator 15th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 6,224 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    stator
    You need a lawyer, not an internet forum
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 15th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,610 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Just to clarify - the end of a probation period has no legal significance whatsoever. (And especially in this case, where on the face of it there might be sex discrimination going on.) The only important date, normally, is the two year 'full employment rights' date. But it's already been pointed out to you that for discrimination on the basis of protected characteristics, that date doesn't apply either.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin