Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lucyw26
    • By Lucyw26 13th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lucyw26
    New build dimensions wrong
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    New build dimensions wrong 13th Apr 18 at 3:59 PM
    Hoping someone can help from a legal point of view or building options!

Soon to complete on a new build, expecting the keys in a week or two. When let in to perform ‘snagging list’ we had concerns about the measurements of the kitchen. On measuring it was found to be smaller than the original plans. It is meant to be a kitchen diner but due to the reduced size it will now barely fit a 90x90cm table! Although the contract does state ‘subject to changes’ I don’t think we expected it to be >30cm less.
    At present they have admitted their failure and offered to build in a breakfast bar which we declined and now only option is to move the door frame to allow more space to fit a table.
    Any thoughts on where we stand in terms of compensation or legally?

Any thoughts valuable!
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 7,663 Posts
    • 7,800 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    What exactly does your contract say about changes?

Can't tell what 30cm is in percentage terms - what were the expected and actual dimensions?
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    Any thoughts on where we stand in terms of compensation or legally?
    Originally posted by Lucyw26
    Probably nowhere because of the 'subject to change' clause.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2,670 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    Probably nowhere because of the 'subject to change' clause.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    Absolutely nowhere because of the aforementioned clause.
    • quotememiserable
    • By quotememiserable 13th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    quotememiserable
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    I think we need to see more of the words from the contract around 'subject to changes' to see the full extent of that clause. I wouldn't expect major changes - if you buy a three bed house, and they build a 2 bed, they could hardly point to such a clause in that case.
    In this case, I'm struggling to see how a one foot reduction in room size makes the difference as to whether you can fit in a dining table or not. What are the proposed / actual room sizes?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin