Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Casper118
    • By Casper118 13th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Casper118
    Cash buyer - new conveyancers
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    Cash buyer - new conveyancers 13th Apr 18 at 3:57 PM
    Hey guys, I accepted a bid on my house around Xmas time last year. I used Purple Bricks as my estate agent and used the conveyancing company they recommended. They turned out to be a nightmare. Fortunately me and the buyer have been good at communicating with each other and we have both decided to start the process again with new firms.
    He is a cash buyer so won't have to go through all the checks again. He has told me he is happy with everything at the property and will instruct his lawyer not to raise any enquiries.
    With a cash buy and no enquires, how long do you think it will be till exchange and completion?

Thanks
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 44,976 Posts
    • 53,594 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    Somewhere between a week and 6 months.

Is he going to re-do searches?

Has his original conveancer successfully checked the Title?

If you've had a 'nightmare', what was that caused by? If an issue arose which the other conveyancer could not resolve, perhpas the nightmare remains.....
    Last edited by G_M; 13-04-2018 at 4:05 PM.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 2,113 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    Hey guys, I accepted a bid on my house around Xmas time last year. I used Purple Bricks as my estate agent and used the conveyancing company they recommended. They turned out to be a nightmare. Fortunately me and the buyer have been good at communicating with each other and we have both decided to start the process again with new firms.
    He is a cash buyer so won't have to go through all the checks again. He has told me he is happy with everything at the property and will instruct his lawyer not to raise any enquiries.
    With a cash buy and no enquires, how long do you think it will be till exchange and completion?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Casper118
    It could be as quick as a few days, or it might take a few weeks. It really is a very difficult thing to predict, even when there is more information to go on.
    • Casper118
    • By Casper118 13th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Casper118
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    The 'nightmare' was more to do with lawyers not answering phonecalls or emails rather than anything to do with background checks etc.
    He is not going to do any searches as a survey was already completed and all enquiries were resolved.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 44,976 Posts
    • 53,594 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    The 'nightmare' was more to do with lawyers not answering phonecalls or emails rather than anything to do with background checks etc.
    He is not going to do any searches as a survey was already completed and all enquiries were resolved.
    Changing conveyancers at this stage, for that reason, seems costly and unneccessary.

However that's your choice.

I repeat: is he going to do (or re-do) searches? You mentioned 'Enquiries' originally - those are not searches.

Now you mention a 'survey'. Again - that is not searches.

Given you appear somewhat confused as to the various steps in the process, I wonder if the lawyers poor responses is more to do with un-resolved matters than poor practice. Solicitors frequently ignore queries if they do not yet have the answer required, eg becuse they are awaiting the answer from a 3rd party.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 2,113 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    Searches and surveys are separate, unrelated, components of a property transaction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

5,315Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin