Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 15,199Posts
    • 147,335Thanks
    mardatha
    Urgent - need advice for my son please
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    Urgent - need advice for my son please 13th Apr 18 at 3:16 PM
    Son been to visit today in a state. He has 7 DDs due out tomorrow and he hasn't got enough in to cover all of them. He is at his overdraft limit. One of the payments is to the CSA, the rest are 4 credit cards, mobile phone, and Sky. What can he do, if anything? I'm worried the bank will bounce the payments and hit him with charges. Also not sure what the CSA will do,
    His wage goes in on the 25th - ten days time. The charges will come off that wage and leave him short for next month's DDs.
    What can he do?
Page 1
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 13th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    Given that you've not got much time he has 2 choices in the short term to avoid the additional charges.

Increase his overdraft or borrow money and put it in the bank. Neither is a particularly good option unless he can borrow money from a relative/friend interest free.
    Last edited by fatrab; 13-04-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 7,947 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    I suggest you get him to come on here and ask for advice. fatrab has listed the only options for today but he also needs to sort himself out for the long term. If he is that close to the wire why is he lining the pockets of Sky.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 15,199 Posts
    • 147,335 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    I've got him organised to contact StepChange next week, just wanted to know what to do about tomorrow. He already asked me for the money fatrab and I haven't got it - I'll tell him to try the bank and ask them if they can give him a bit more overdraft. Thanks both.
    EDITED- What would happen if he cancelled some of his DDs before his payday?
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 13th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    He would be better to change all his DD dates to the day after payday to begin with. That will buy him a few weeks next month. Instead of coming out on the 14th May they'll come out on the 26th.

Cancel Sky DD at the bank. He doesn't need it.

Stepchange will be able to advise him better than I can regarding the rest of the CC's etc.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 13th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 43,927 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    Afternoon everyone

Good advice already given by the previous posters.

Just a thought regarding his accommodation costs - does he own his own home or is he in rented? If he is in rented does he have an entitlement to some help via housing benefit if he's only earning a low wage? Also is the amount that the CSA is taking correct and in line with the guidelines based on his current wages and personal circumstances.

Hope this may be of some help.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 15,243 Posts
    • 14,341 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    EDITED- What would happen if he cancelled some of his DDs before his payday?
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Cancel the non priority ones, just pay what he can afford, you may of left it too late now, as it normally takes 3 working days to action.

One sure fire way is to withdraw what cash he has, let them all bounce.

They are all non priority debts except maybe the CSA payment.

Or another thing, ring the bank the day the payments come out and ask them to reverse them, they will do this for you if asked.

That way no charges will be accrued.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 15,199 Posts
    • 147,335 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    He did say the CSA should be taking a lot less as he is on min wage, but says he can't get through to them and when he does they are rude.
    I'll keep on at him re Stepchange, they seem to be the only answer. TY.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 13th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    John-K
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    Son been to visit today in a state. He has 7 DDs due out tomorrow and he hasn't got enough in to cover all of them. He is at his overdraft limit. One of the payments is to the CSA, the rest are 4 credit cards, mobile phone, and Sky. What can he do, if anything? I'm worried the bank will bounce the payments and hit him with charges. Also not sure what the CSA will do,
    His wage goes in on the 25th - ten days time. The charges will come off that wage and leave him short for next month's DDs.
    What can he do?
    Itís a bit late now, but what on Earth is he doing paying for Sky when heís running so close to disaster?

Can he sell anything? Will the bank extend his overdraft limit?

Is he particularly attractive, and does he live close to a working dock?

This late in the day his choices are extend the overdraft, sell something for cash, borrow off family, or fail to pay.

Are you able to help him out?

If not, have a sit down with him and work out why two generations between them canít handle even the slightest cash-flow problem.

That will not help this time, but could be the thing that when you look back on in ten years is the turning point.

Most of our lives have a few critical moments where you have a revelation and change, or continue down the wrong path. Is this one of yours?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    • 15,243 Posts
    • 14,341 Thanks
    sourcrates
    He can complain about the service he has received from the CSA if he is unhappy with the situation :

https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance/complaints-and-appeals
    Last edited by sourcrates; 13-04-2018 at 5:59 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Apr 18, 5:03 PM
    • 15,199 Posts
    • 147,335 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm not on any wrong path thankyouverymuch, I don't have any debt and I don't intend to pay his. He is in his late 40s and only told me about this problem because I asked him why he looked so ill and so tired. I'm not here to fix things for him, only to advise him how he can do it himself. And I'm not entering into any discussion here.
    • midnight express
    • By midnight express 13th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 3,314 Thanks
    midnight express
    Borrow the money from a credit card.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 13th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    John-K
    I'm not on any wrong path thankyouverymuch, I don't have any debt and I don't intend to pay his. He is in his late 40s and only told me about this problem because I asked him why he looked so ill and so tired. I'm not here to fix things for him, only to advise him how he can do it himself. And I'm not entering into any discussion here.
    You said above that you donít have the money, so your willingness is neither here nor there. You canít post that and then claim that you are just choosing not to help.

Iím just pointing out that if neither of you have an emergency fund then both you could treat this as a bit of a wake-up call.

Anyway, people have told you the situation, so no conversation needed.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    OP - cancel the DDs - set them back up with better dates that line up with his pay day.
    This should prevent any charges and he can allow just the most vital to be paid.

If he does receive charges, the bank can sometimes waive/refund them as a good will gesture if it's a first offence type thing.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 15,199 Posts
    • 147,335 Thanks
    mardatha
    Have told him this, thank you Dobbibill.
    • midnight express
    • By midnight express 13th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 3,314 Thanks
    midnight express
    It usually takes three working days to cancel a direct debit.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    I should have been more specific.....cancel them with the bank either via the phone or internet banking - the companies will have already started the process from their end.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • sassy-one
    • By sassy-one 15th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,291 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    sassy-one
    Direct Debits do not come out at weekends.
    So if correct, as you say in your opening post, that his direct debits are due out "tomorrow", Friday being the 13th of the month means that would be Saturday.

He has had all weekend to sort this, given the direct debits wouldn't be attempted until tomorrow (after 12am tonight)

So unsure exactly why your son has claimed to have needed the money so suddenly, perhaps you might want to ask him if he actually needs the money for something other than the alleged direct debits.
    Life is to short to go on hating someone but there are some people who are pure evil and you are best far away as possible from.
    I've learned you should live every day as your last
    Snowflake <3 Always remembered
    Posted via my iPhone
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 15,199 Posts
    • 147,335 Thanks
    mardatha
    He wanted me to transfer money into his account, he didn't want the cash. But that is interesting and handy to know, thank you.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 15th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Direct Debits do not come out at weekends.
    So if correct, as you say in your opening post, that his direct debits are due out "tomorrow", Friday being the 13th of the month means that would be Saturday.

He has had all weekend to sort this, given the direct debits wouldn't be attempted until tomorrow (after 12am tonight)

So unsure exactly why your son has claimed to have needed the money so suddenly, perhaps you might want to ask him if he actually needs the money for something other than the alleged direct debits.
    Originally posted by sassy-one
    It's not difficult to be unaware that DDs don't go out at the weekend (I wouldn't have been sure - I've always had the money so I've never had to care).

Equally, asking why he is panicking at the last minute is a bit naive - that's how people get into trouble!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin