Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FabFifty
    • By FabFifty 13th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 89Thanks
    FabFifty
    Euro Car Parts - misleading advertising?
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    Euro Car Parts - misleading advertising? 13th Apr 18 at 1:53 PM
    I've just telephoned Euro Car Parts based on their claim "any part for any car". I need a Mitsubishi bumper and headlamp unit but was told they couldn't help. I only phoned on the basis of their claim and was told that they could get at least one part for any car but not all parts for all cars. Surely this is misleading advertising? Has anyone else had this problem with Euro Car Parts?
Page 1
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 16,446 Posts
    • 9,700 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    I've just telephoned Euro Car Parts based on their claim "any part for any car". I need a Mitsubishi bumper and headlamp unit but was told they couldn't help. I only phoned on the basis of their claim and was told that they could get at least one part for any car but not all parts for all cars. Surely this is misleading advertising? Has anyone else had this problem with Euro Car Parts?
    Originally posted by FabFifty
    Really?

Is this your biggest problem in life?

All we need is the word "outrage" in there somewhere and this could be the basis for a Daily Mail article.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 13th Apr 18, 2:30 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:30 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:30 PM
    Really?

All we need is the word "outrage" in there somewhere and this could be the basis for a Daily Mail article.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Exactly - get over it!
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 6,156 Posts
    • 4,068 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    Complain to the ASA.
    The ASA will uphold your complaint.
    But that's about it
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 13th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    datostar
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    Really?

Originally posted by motorguy
    He would need to include the value of his house and shape of his bottom as well.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 13th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    I use ECP regularly for parts for various makes and models and never have a problem with them. It is a bit of a misleading advert but I don't think it's worthy of a complaint (or a post on here tbh).

For the parts you need I'd be looking on ebay for used genuine parts, they'd be a far better choice than cheap factored parts that tend not to fit quite as well.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 11lb lost so far
    April's Goals - 15/21 NSD - 15/20 Lunches - 20/28 AFD - 21/31 TAFD (take away free days)
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 4,640 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    Terrible! Have you asked them for compensation yet?
    ====
    • marlot
    • By marlot 13th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    marlot
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    Oh my golly gosh. A company that uses hyperbole in advertising!

You'll tell me next that people depicted in commercials and magazines are effortlessly youthful, virile, sexually desirable, ardent and strong. They share happy moments basking in the warmth and love of their families, and if they aren't having fun now, their use of the advertised product, whether that is a cologne or hair replacement cream, will seemingly lift them to new heights of pleasure and fulfillment.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 13th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    He would need to include the value of his house and shape of his bottom as well.
    Originally posted by datostar
    Don't forget the photo sat on the sofa with a laptop open on the ECP website and a really, really, sad face.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Apr 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Technically it is called EURO car parts so it should only cover European cars and Mitsubishi is Japanese.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 13th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Muscle750
    Im slowly losing the will to live reading bunk like this
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 13th Apr 18, 6:55 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    Sainsburys tell me I can 'Live well for Less' yet my shopping bill has slowly risen!

Just a catchphrase.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 13th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Always surprises me on this forum how few people seem to be aware of what their rights are and how over the years people complaining about advertising have slowly cleaned up the way business is done. What's wrong with a bit of hyperbole - unfair competition. If they create the impression that they are the place to come to for difficult to find parts when they are no better than an honestly advertised alternative company, then they are cheating.

So, I would certainly complain to ASA, however, in the grand scheme of things it is not a particularly damaging misleading claim and don't put too much effort into it.

I think a lot of people here simply don't understand how bad things used to be, and if people don't take honest advertising seriously then one day some politician might take it upon themselves to turn the clock back. You really wouldn't believe what people got away with in the 1970s before the BBC through Consumer Unit and That's Life together with Which? created the momentum that ended up with the various consumer acts we have today.
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 4,640 Thanks
    d123
    Sainsburys tell me I can 'Live well for Less' yet my shopping bill has slowly risen!
    Originally posted by lewishardwick
    Tesco keep telling me their products are the finest, that's not true either...
    ====
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 13th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 3,057 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    Ectophile

Just a catchphrase.
    Originally posted by lewishardwick
    If you want to live well for less, you need to be shopping somewhere other than Sainsbury's.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 11:44 PM
    • 5,888 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Have you tried Autodoc.co.uk? They have a lot more parts than ECP.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Apr 18, 12:02 AM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Ganga
    Always surprises me on this forum how few people seem to be aware of what their rights are and how over the years people complaining about advertising have slowly cleaned up the way business is done. What's wrong with a bit of hyperbole - unfair competition. If they create the impression that they are the place to come to for difficult to find parts when they are no better than an honestly advertised alternative company, then they are cheating.

So, I would certainly complain to ASA, however, in the grand scheme of things it is not a particularly damaging misleading claim and don't put too much effort into it.

I think a lot of people here simply don't understand how bad things used to be, and if people don't take honest advertising seriously then one day some politician might take it upon themselves to turn the clock back. You really wouldn't believe what people got away with in the 1970s before the BBC through Consumer Unit and That's Life together with Which? created the momentum that ended up with the various consumer acts we have today.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Do they not do this every autumn!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • gord115
    • By gord115 14th Apr 18, 5:16 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    gord115
    I eat an apple a day and last year a doctor had to put a finger up my 'arris.

It's all lies I tell you, LIES LIES LIES
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 13,022 Posts
    • 8,549 Thanks
    photome
    DFS keep telling me their sale is ending on monday.AFAIK their sale has been never ending for the past 30 years or more

OP you need to return and add the word SCAM in the title
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 14th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    mollycat
    Tesco told me, "every little helps".

Didn't "help" very much when I got a "little" kicking from the local neds down at the chipper last night.

When will somebody do something?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin