Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Just Passing Bi
    • By Just Passing Bi 13th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 306Posts
    • 28Thanks
    Just Passing Bi
    Tracing a pension
    • #1
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    Tracing a pension 13th Apr 18 at 1:49 PM
    I need to trace an old pension, has anyone heard of:
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 3,844 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    Its a private company trading under the same name as the official service which you can find at:
    Last edited by Alexland; 13-04-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 97,035 Posts
    • 65,028 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    it is not an FCA authorised firm and is not an official process from the Govt.

    The info on their website is inconsistent. Their wording seems to change depending on what bit you read on the website. One page says they have IFAs (copy and paste: "Once we have gathered all of that information, we forward it across to one of our Independent Financial Advisers"). However, the footer on the webpage says: The Pension Tracing Service does not offer financial advice to our clients. However, we can allocate you an Authorised and Regulated Pension Specialist.

    They appear to be FCA authorised under number 605975 with a trading name of The Pension Tracing Service. (they also have a trading name of Unbiased Finance Ltd. Some may say that two trading names with similarities to two different services of a similar name may be a coincidence or an attempt to fool people. e.g. The Unbiased website and the Govt pension tracing service). But they hold no individual permissions to give advice or act as IFAs but are an appointed rep of an advice firm who can.

    Basically, its a commercial firm using your data to pass to a sister company to try and sell their services to you. All lawful but a hint of smoke and mirrors.

    Have you tried the free Govt website:
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Just Passing Bi
    • By Just Passing Bi 14th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Just Passing Bi
    • #4
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • #4
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    Thanks to you both, excellent detailed information dunstonh.

    Based on your reply, I've decided not to use this company, and use the link for the official government website
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,076Posts Today

7,379Users online

Martin's Twitter