Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esskay
    • By esskay 13th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    esskay
    Title deeds to the wrong flat? What to do?
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    Title deeds to the wrong flat? What to do? 13th Apr 18 at 1:26 PM
    Hi there, got a weird problem.

Note that this is in Scotland.

I bought a flat a couple of months ago. Today I received a copy of the deeds from the solicitor. The flat is 100+ years old - originally it didn't have a number, so there is no flat number in the deeds.

However, with the deeds was a copy of a planning application for internal changes from a few years ago, and this showed the wrong flat number: 3/1, whereas I live at 3/2.

Alarmed, I examined the deeds, which clearly state that they are for the flat on the east side of the third floor. My flat is on the west side.

Have I really bought my neighbour's flat? Does this mean he will technically own mine? How easy is this situation to remedy?
Page 2
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 9,639 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    And flat numbering in Scotland being something of a dark art, particularly in Edinburgh.

It really is quite possible for the Land Register, the council tax, the Royal Mail, the electricity and the telephone all to refer to the same flat differently.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 8,490 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    davidmcn
    And flat numbering in Scotland being something of a dark art, particularly in Edinburgh.

It really is quite possible for the Land Register, the council tax, the Royal Mail, the electricity and the telephone all to refer to the same flat differently.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Indeed. I used to own a flat in Glasgow which was either "Flat 4", "1/2", "1/L" or "the westmost flat on the first floor" (and possibly something else too) depending on who was asking.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 9,639 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I had an FFCEN (first floor centre) for the electricity, but almost everything else understood 1/2.

Then there was the block where the bin store had its own building number and the stair had two building numbers with the flats on the left of the stair being eg 22 and the flats on the right being 24.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • esskay
    • By esskay 14th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    esskay
    I won't get a chance to speak to my neighbour till Monday. Then the solicitor. Will report back.

The deeds seem to indicate that the whole tenement, comprising six "houses", was originally a single property, first becoming a separate flat in the 80s (council sell-off?).
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Apr 18, 12:00 AM
    • 8,490 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Yeah, if it was the council then that makes sense. I've seen some similar mix-ups before (some breakdown in communication within council about which property they're selling, buyer's solicitor doesn't pay too much attention because they assume the council won't be making mistakes with their own titles, and so it goes on).
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 6,679 Posts
    • 43,341 Thanks
    Gers
    I won't get a chance to speak to my neighbour till Monday. Then the solicitor. Will report back.

The deeds seem to indicate that the whole tenement, comprising six "houses", was originally a single property, first becoming a separate flat in the 80s (council sell-off?).
    Originally posted by esskay

I have a copy of the ownership of my mum's flat in Glasgow. Orginallly the six flats were owned by one person who eventually sold them off. The first two pages have all the flats on, it's only the final page which splits off each individual flat.

There's no indication of numbering, just east or west. I never thought to check that.

Her flat started off being 1 up left (1/l) which the council still uses. RM seem to prefer 1/1 which always seemed odd to me as her flat is the second door on the floor. 1/2 is the first door, on the right, as approaching from the stairs!

Anyway, good luck in sorting it out! Perhaps a compass will help?
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 6,679 Posts
    • 43,341 Thanks
    Gers
    I've just looked at the Sansine register again, my mum's flat is registered as 'over eastmost or lefthand side house on first floor', which is correct. And 'right to back green.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 32,544 Posts
    • 20,477 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Any news OP ?
    • Badger50
    • By Badger50 16th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Badger50
    Something like this happened to friends in England. There was no actual dispute with anyone but the Land Registry records were wrong. The solicitors sorted it out with a Deed of Rectification I think it was called and it was quite painless in the end.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin