Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ad London
    • By Ad London 13th Apr 18, 1:13 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ad London
    Can they do this?
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:13 PM
    Can they do this? 13th Apr 18 at 1:13 PM
    Hi,
    Apologies for the long post, but please bear with me. Questions are at the bottom!

As a 'loyal customer' of Virgin (their words) for 4+years (I've lost count) and after noticing all the offers from Sky, BT etc, I decided to (try to) change my Virgin package for something comparable.

As a starting point price-wise, I decided to check BT, my previous supplier. They can provide a phone line, unlimited 52MB connection, 80 channels (I only need 10 -20), BT Sport free for 12 months (3.50 a month afterwards) for 35.99 a month (18 month contract), plus anytime unlimited calls to landlines, mobiles and some 0xxx numbers for another 7.50 a month, which is 42.99. After 18 months it goes up to 47.99 + 7.50 for the free calls which is still only 55.49

I currently pay Virgin 83.65 a month for the same bundle.
    I get a few more (un-needed channels) and 92MB internet but that's also too much for my needs.

I looked at Virgin's current bundles and saw the Mix bundle (a slight upgrade to what I currently have) is only 45 a month, rising to 55 after 12 months.
    Not only that, but scrolling down (looking for the 'new customers only' condition, of which there wasn't) takes you to a big purple box saying
    "As a loyal customer, we think you should be able to enjoy the latest sport, movies and drama at the very best rates. So why not go big instead? Get more for less with our exclusive offers, just for you."
    The box also advertises three bundles. Player, Full House and Mix.
    Clicking that took me to the Virgin media login page, and then a mostly blank page entitled 'Changing your package online', with no further reference to the special rates I was looking forward to.

I logged out and in again to the Virgin Media site, and a big message pops up and says "Good to see you again! We've got some brilliant offers we think you'll love" and a big button labelled 'Your upgrades and offers'.

Clicking on that link took me back to the almost blank 'Changing your package online' page.
    There was a message saying I can use Webchat or phone to do this. I chose the Chat option as you get an email containing everything that's been typed when you finish the session.

After an hour of typing and explaining that I only want to upgrade to the Mix bundle, and an hour of Brian typing that the only upgrade he could offer was the Full House bundle (112 a month after 6 months? Really?) he finally told me that :
    His 'upgrades' team could not change my package except for the 112 Full House bundle;
    The Mix bundle was only for new customers, and;
    I would have to phone or use the Webchat button and choose the relevant option.
    Yes, the same Webchat button I had clicked an hour ago when I chose the Upgrade option.

I went back to the purple box and re-checked. No mention of new customers only. There was an faq button, which I pressed and hey presto, hidden inside and quite a way down, and also stuck on the end of a 'Prices may change' sentence was 'New customers only.

I'm still to contact them by phone, but I'd like some advice please, so I can go in a little more informed.

Can they hide terms and conditions (the 'Legal stuff' as they themselves call it!) inside 'frequently asked questions'?

Can they advertise a bundle to 'loyal customers' and then tell them they can't have it?

Can they advertise the 'very best rates' (not just to to loyal customers, but just in general) when those rates are more than other people will pay, and are not therefore the 'very best'?

Thanks for any help!
    Adam
    Last edited by Ad London; 14-04-2018 at 7:10 PM.
Page 1
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 16th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    If you!!!8217;re confident the BT package provides what you want just ring up and tell them you!!!8217;re leaving. The !!!8216;retention!!!8217; team should be more helpful ... if not just give your notice.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    THe best way to do a deal with VM is to ring them up, and say I'm thinking of leaving because BT can give me what I have now for only xx.

Tell them you don't care that is will be slower.

If you agree, check the paper work carefully, to see it matches what you think was offered
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 16th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 7,745 Posts
    • 3,787 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    As a starting point price-wise, I decided to check BT, my previous supplier. They can provide a phone line, unlimited 52MB connection, 80 channels (I only need 10 -20), BT Sport free for 12 months (3.50 a month afterwards) for 35.99 a month (18 month contract), plus anytime unlimited calls to landlines, mobiles and some 0xxx numbers for another 7.50 a month, which is 42.99.
    Originally posted by Ad London
    As far as I know, on BT anytime (at 7.50pm), calls to mobiles are half price, not free.
    Stompa
    • Ad London
    • By Ad London 20th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ad London
    • 20th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Yes, I just checked the mobile calls and they're half price so thanks Stompa.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,452Posts Today

5,583Users online

Martin's Twitter