Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 13th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 360Posts
    • 113Thanks
    tenchy
    Unknown transaction from Experian on CC
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    Unknown transaction from Experian on CC 13th Apr 18 at 12:47 PM
    Just logged on to my Barclaycard and in the pending transactions section there are two transactions for 0 listed for Experian Ltd. I do not now, nor have I ever, had a relationship with that company, so how can they place a transaction on my card? Anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
Page 1
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    Just logged on to my Barclaycard and in the pending transactions section there are two transactions for 0 listed for Experian Ltd. I do not now, nor have I ever, had a relationship with that company, so how can they place a transaction on my card? Anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
    Originally posted by tenchy
    My first thought is identity fraud and I would be phoning Barclaycard asap.

The fact that is is 0 makes no difference. It may even drop off your pending list which also makes no difference as the possible fraud has already taken place.

I would also suggest taking a screenshot of the pending list just in case it disappears.

PS: Just to confirm my concern is because someone else is using your credit card.
    Last edited by RG2015; 13-04-2018 at 1:02 PM.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    Have you appliedfor anything recently where you gave your credit card details to verify your identity?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    Have you appliedfor anything recently where you gave your credit card details to verify your identity?
    Originally posted by BoGoF
    Interesting theory but surely this would result in a search not an entry on a credit card account.

Experian would be a third party and have no authority to submit a transaction for any amount on someone's credit card.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    Its not a theory.....I have encountered it myself.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    Its not a theory.....I have encountered it myself. Cant recall with whom but they processed it this way.
    Now you really have got me worried.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 13th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tenchy
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:18 PM

Panic over, and yes. Well, the wife has. Turns out she submitted the Barclaycard when opening a new store card - one of those cards that gives you 10% off your first purchase (the card is not going to be used again). The BC was needed "for identification". Bloody rum do if you ask me, that a company that most people have never heard of then places a suspicious transaction on your account. Typical stunt pulled by the likes of Experian.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    Its not Experian pulling the stunt
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    Now you really have got me worried.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Why would it worry you?
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 13th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tenchy
    Its not Experian pulling the stunt

You mean it's Barclaycard themselves?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    BoGoF
    You mean it's Barclaycard themselves?
    Its the company that used the card for verification purposes. Mine was an online application and did warn me the transaction would show on the card used to verify. I assume your wifes was in store and most likely the person serving her did not advise that a transaction would appear.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 13th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tenchy
    Its the company that used the card for verification purposes. Mine was an online application and did warn me the transaction would show on the card used to verify. I assume your wifes was in store and most likely the person serving her did not advise that a transaction would appear.

Yes, exactly. Nevertheless, Experian were not authorised to effect this transaction. And why confuse the matter further with two separate transactions? The card provider was NewDay, so at the very least there should have been a reference to them in the transaction description.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    BoGoF
    Complain to New Day then.....but your wife gave permission when she handed the card over
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 18,567 Posts
    • 12,722 Thanks
    molerat
    Yes, exactly. Nevertheless, Experian were not authorised to effect this transaction. And why confuse the matter further with two separate transactions? The card provider was NewDay, so at the very least there should have been a reference to them in the transaction description.
    Thanks for reading the T&Cs that were signed and pointing out that there was no authorisation given.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    Why would it worry you?
    Okay, I have thought it through and it sounds okay other than having not heard of it before.

Whenever, I have used a card for verification the company has always told me that they would put a small transaction through to check my details. I have also seen searches on my credit reports.

The CRAs all have my details and should not need to put a dummy transaction on my card. Nevertheless I can see how this may be a useful verification method.

The fact that the OP was not aware of opening any new credit line threw me a bit but that is all explained now. I also find it strange that his wife would use the Barclaycard as I assume it is in his name not hers.

My wife has always needed to use an account in her name rather than the credit card which only has her as a secondary card holder. Perhaps that is why the 0 transaction was required.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,198Posts Today

8,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin