Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Concernedretiree
    • By Concernedretiree 13th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Concernedretiree
    Lifetime or payoff mortgage
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    Lifetime or payoff mortgage 13th Apr 18 at 12:39 PM
    My husband retired last year at 68. He has substantial pension provision which he has not touched which is worth 3 times the equity we hold in our home. We are relying on our joint savings to live on. My only income is a small private pension worth only £20 per week. He is a deeply controlling man and has made it very difficult for me to work even though I had a good career when we met. He has now said he has no intention of paying off the mortgage and wants to get a lifetime mortgage of £150,000. The equity is about £250,000. We have 5 children; 2 each from previous marriages in their 40ís and one who is a post grad student. My deep fear is that if I predecease him he will change our mirrored wills and leave out my children from previous marriage or if he predecease me I will have a large debt I have no means to pay off if he leaves his pensions to his children.

My question is - would it be better to get a lifetime mortgage and keep his investments intact or pay it off. We currently pay £220 per month and he is insisting investments will make more than that.
Page 2
    • Concernedretiree
    • By Concernedretiree 17th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Concernedretiree
    Husband could have paid off the mortgage in previous house if he had chosen to but he put every available penny into his pension. The first house we had was a New town corporation house which I lived in with my 2 children and which he moved into. Once we married and bought it became a jointly owned property. 36 years on, I could not even afford this house now. As for my children, one lives with his family on the other side of the world though all lived close by before I was forced to move.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 17th Apr 18, 8:19 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Please - stop posting on here in the mistaken belief that somehow somebody will be able to help you. Only you can do that (a comment meant in the kindest possible way).
    • atush
    • By atush 19th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 16,709 Posts
    • 10,412 Thanks
    atush
    See a solicitor promptly
  • jamesd
    Husband could have paid off the mortgage in previous house if he had chosen to but he put every available penny into his pension.
    Originally posted by Concernedretiree
    That's normally a good financial move because you get tax relief on the pension contributions and that increases the amount available later. It's part of why I have an interest only mortgage myself.

Not paying off seems like something done by his choice, not necessity, downsizing to a lower value property. Also often an excellent financial move.

In purely financial terms for a single person he seems to be making good financial decisions.

But he isn't a single person and doesn't seem to be including you in the decisions but rather acting to isolate you and increase his control over you. What you have been describing is a financially and otherwise abusive relationship where the best prospects for improving your life and the prospects of your children appear to involve leaving the marriage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,993Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin