Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonomassey
    • By jonomassey 13th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 10Thanks
    jonomassey
    0 WOW
    Advice needed
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    0 WOW
    Advice needed 13th Apr 18 at 12:25 PM
    Hi,

I need some advice on an issue I have re travel insurance. We were due to fly to New York with Virgin Atlantic on the 21st March and the flight got cancelled due to snow. They then booked us onto an American Airlines flight later the day we were meant to travel to Charlotte and then a connecting flight to New York later that day. We checked in online with AA and traveled to Heathrow as planned the night before on the 20th. Later that night the flights were cancelled by AA, without any notification given. I contacted Virgin regarding this and they had no record of the booking and I had to forward the email I had been sent by Virgin to them. Next day they rearranged our flights, albeit travelling 6 days later due to availability. We couldn't get a refund on our hotel booked with virgin holidays and also couldn't cancel our excursions and New York Knicks tickets.

I have tried to claim on our travel insurance for the hotel and excursions, who at first said Virgin holidays were responsible for reimbursing us. This wasn't the case as it was booked separately and not as a package holiday. They have now refused our claim as we can't prove that our AA flights were cancelled. I have requested proof of this from both VA and AA but both are painfully slow at responding.

Can anybody give us advice on what to do next?
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 12,073 Posts
    • 8,213 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    First piece of advice: write briefly and to the point. So far as the insurance company is concerned, all that is relevant is that your flights were cancelled; your holiday was therefore delayed for six days and you lost the non-refundable bookins that you had made.

Your problem: the insurance company obviously required evidence that your flights were indeed cancelled. I assume that the airlines will indeed provide this in time, but there are online resources that give details of delays and cancellations: for example,
    https://www.flightstats.com/v2/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

6,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin