Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Donnadiddle
    • By Donnadiddle 13th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Donnadiddle
    Right to Buy refusal due to Disability adaptions
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    Right to Buy refusal due to Disability adaptions 13th Apr 18 at 12:05 PM
    My Mother has been a Council tenant for over 40yrs. My Father passed away 18mths ago and My Mother has decided to buy the house for security.
    The house has the following adaptions for my Mother: Stairlift, wet room and downstairs wc extension.
    As a result she has been denied the right to buy!
    Surely this is discrimination, she NEEDS these adaptions and was under the impression she would have to pay more to account for the additions and was willing to do so.
    We would be very grateful of any advice that can be offered... Thank you
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 17,393 Posts
    • 48,291 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    I would say the answer probably lies in the fact that there is a "one price fits all" criteria applied to "right to buy" and the Council is probably not legally allowed to charge extra for the "stuff it's paid for" as well as the "house it's paid for".

Add that it will have an already-adapted house ready for someone else come the time the house is vacant again in years to come and will be able to move a disabled person straight into it.

EDIT; Why does she think owning the house would make her more secure? Presumably she has one of the traditional style lifetime tenancies and therefore she is perfectly secure anyway?
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 13th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    Good. When - God forbid - anything happens, another person in need of (and unable to afford) these adaptations will benefit just as your mother did, as opposed to your family benefitting financially.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 13th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    And how is it discrimination as she NEEDS these adaptations? They're not proposing to take them away, and her purchase isn't going to make her residency there any more or less secure.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 17,393 Posts
    • 48,291 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    She needs them - she's got them.

....and you do seem to have contradicted yourself stating that she's secure anyway...
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 13th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 13,604 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    She "needs" the adaptations. Fine. At least 2 choices....

a) continue renting current property on attractive terms - particularly security of tenure - from Council.
    b) buy home with such adaptations or get them put in.

She is no worse off than she was before.

Any discrimination is surely against those with no possibility of any right to buy, or taxpayers paying for R2B'ers discounts. And those wanting council housing prevented from getting a place due to many properties being lost to the community through right 2 buy.

There is less security in being a home owner rather than renting from council - no HB to pay the mortgage. And presumably has a (named as type of tenancy) "Secure" tenancy already. Offspring I'm sure are not after the value of any "security" in future.

Best wishes to all
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 13-04-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 13th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 13,371 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    My Mother has been a Council tenant for over 40yrs. My Father passed away 18mths ago and My Mother has decided to buy the house for security.
    The house has the following adaptions for my Mother: Stairlift, wet room and downstairs wc extension.
    As a result she has been denied the right to buy!
    Surely this is discrimination, she NEEDS these adaptions and was under the impression she would have to pay more to account for the additions and was willing to do so.
    We would be very grateful of any advice that can be offered... Thank you
    Originally posted by Donnadiddle

No it's not discrimination. Some properties are excluded from RTB for example sheltered or other housing suitable for elderly or disabled people. It's covered in the RTB Summary Booklet.

https://righttobuy.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Revised-RtB-summary-booklet-april-2015.pdf
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 5,330 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    Firstly your mother will not be more secure owning a house she will be less secure.

Where is the money supposed to come from to buy the house. Since you can only become a tenant at 18 and your mother has been a council tenant for over 40 years that makes her at least 58. So unless she has enough savings in the bank to pay for the house outright how does she think she can afford to buy it.

If she has enough savings to buy this property outright she also has enough savings to buy a sheltered housing flat with all these adaptations on the open market. So there is no need for her to buy this property as she can do what everyone else does and downsize into a retirment flat using the money that she has saved to buy this house to do that.

Not all council property is covered by the right to buy scheme your mum is living in one that isn't.

There is no descrimination. People who are over 58 and have enough savings in the bank to buy a property outright with no mortgage can afford to buy a retirement flat so they aren't descriminated by not being able to buy their council property.

Where to go from here. Tell your mother that if she feels she wants to own a property to look for a retirement flat on the open market.

For complete security the rented council property is the best.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 13th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:52 PM

I'm sure she is
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    All of this.

Your mum NEEDS the adaptations.

Your mum doesn!!!8217;t NEED to own the house

The council NEEDS to own the house for the next person who NEEDS the adaptations.

Her children certainly don!!!8217;t NEED the inheritance.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 15-04-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 5,330 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    If at her age she can get a mortgage or has enough money saved to buy the council property then she can also buy one on the open market. So there is no problem all she needs to do is to move.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 13-04-2018 at 2:21 PM.
    • dizzybee
    • By dizzybee 13th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 7,203 Thanks
    dizzybee
    I recently had adaptations done on my council house for my daughter and the council clearly stated that i would lose my right to buy once the adaptations were completed,

• Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 6,452 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I would say the answer probably lies in the fact Fact? that there is a "one price fits all" criteria applied to "right to buy" Is there? and the Council is probably not legally allowed to charge extra for the "stuff it's paid for" The cost floor rule takes account of spending on the property in the last 10 years. as well as the "house it's paid for". After 40 years the rental income will have paid for the house possibly many times over.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    See below.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 14-04-2018 at 8:11 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    Slithery
    and My Mother has decided to buy the house for security.
    This doesn't make any sense.

She is more secure in a council property than she would be if she owned the place herself with a mortgage.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 13th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 13,604 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    This doesn't make any sense.

She is more secure in a council property than she would be if she owned the place herself with a mortgage.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    Perhaps "someone" has spent a lot of time & effort "explaining" to her how she, mum would be more "secure".

Now, wonder why they'd do that eh?
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 13th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 8,637 Posts
    • 28,769 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I do love a good 'right to buy' thread.
    Buying for security - check.
    Bit of a sob story - check.
    An overly involved adult child -check.
    • Donnadiddle
    • By Donnadiddle 15th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Donnadiddle
    Hi, Thank you for the reply, She wants to adapt the house further for her needs. She wants to make it open plan for wheelchair use and have a extra bedroom and wet room built downstairs.
    • Donnadiddle
    • By Donnadiddle 15th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Donnadiddle
    You obviously DONT think the way we do!!
    The reason for buying is so WE can pay and have the downstairs bedroom extension built with shower room for her that the COUNCIL refuse to do and to open it up to open plan..
    Not that we need to justify ourselves to you ...
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 30,137 Posts
    • 77,455 Thanks
    Mojisola
    The reason for buying is so WE can pay and have the downstairs bedroom extension built with shower room for her that the COUNCIL refuse to do and to open it up to open plan..
    It doesn't matter what your reasons are - your mother's house has adaptations that mean it can't be bought by the tenant.
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 15th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    You obviously DONT think the way we do!!
    Not that we need to justify ourselves to you ...
    There are no other houses in the UK that meet those specifications? If that's the case why not have one built so your Mom can have security?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,337Posts Today

7,203Users online

Martin's Twitter