Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thisiscreditcard
    • By thisiscreditcard 13th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    thisiscreditcard
    Pay UK Bank Account with Credit Card
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    Pay UK Bank Account with Credit Card 13th Apr 18 at 10:41 AM
    Hi,

I have this bug bear that I can't pay someone (friend/family etc.) easily with a credit card. I can either setup a new payee etc. and go through online banking (which is like fort knox now) or use Paypal (which is crazy expensive).

I was thinking of setting up a simple site where you enter credit card details (they're not stored) and the service pays any UK bank account i.e. you can use your credit card to pay any person/business

If something already exists even better! But wondered if anyone had any views or whether they'd use it if I created it?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 13th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    It would be considered a cash advance and the payee would pay huge fees. Credit card companies would never let this happen.

Many people would also use such a website for money laundering; turning stolen credit cards into cash.

People would abuse it for cashback/frequent flier miles, e.g. sending their "friend" (or themselves) money who then gives it back... rinse and repeat. This is against all T&C of any card, and again would be a cash advance.

If you want to send cash, you need to send it from your bank account, or using actual cash. There is a reason it's "crazy expensive" and to put it simply a credit card is not your cash to send.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 13th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    I don't see why you'd be so bothered about sending cash to family/friends via your credit card - just use money in your bank account and send a faster payment which arrives in minutes and is free.

If you don't have enough money to pay someone, then apply for a money transfer card, transfer the funds into your bank account and use the credit card that way:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • thisiscreditcard
    • By thisiscreditcard 13th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thisiscreditcard
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    Thanks for that.

How does PayPal differentiate it? i.e. if paypal sends a money request from say family, and I use a credit card to pay for that, that isn't considered a cash advance?

I'd always thought cash advances were cash withdrawals as opposed to payments, how would the card companies differentiate?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,213Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter