Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shockleader
    • By shockleader 13th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shockleader
    Company Vehicle Scheme
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    Company Vehicle Scheme 13th Apr 18 at 8:09 AM
    Hi,

I hope this is in the correct section....

My wife has just landed a new job and has been lucky enough to be enrolled in the company car scheme. She has two options, either choose from a list of various cars, or take 250 per month and source her own vehicle. The downside with the first option is that I am not able to drive the car or use it for personal trips. The downside with the second option is that I can't see how we could buy a suitable car for 250 per month?!!

The car needs to be large enough to take our family and a large dog, and ideally should come with some sort of warranty.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thank You.
Page 1
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 13th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    It depends what you class as a suitable car.

Are there any other stipulations to the company car allowance? Such as the age of the vehicle or the CO2 emissions? Is insurance going to be expensive if you buy your own car? If you're young or either of you have a squiffy driving history then probably best to take the company car. If not, read on...

I take company car allowance in lieu of a company car with my employer. Only condition is that it has to be less than 10 years old. If I had 250/month here's what I'd do:

Insignia/Mondeo/Focus/Astra Estate @ 6000 (150/month over 48 months)
    Insurance 400 (33/month)
    Tax 150 (12.50/month)
    Servicing, MOT, repairs, tyres (50/month)

These figures are just plucked out of the air for an average car but 250/month is perfectly do-able.

Will your wife be taxed on the 250 though?
    Last edited by fatrab; 13-04-2018 at 2:47 PM.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 11lb lost so far
    April's Goals - 15/21 NSD - 15/20 Lunches - 20/28 AFD - 21/31 TAFD (take away free days)
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    250 net of tax would be OK; 250 gross would be a struggle.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 13th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    You need to look at the cars on the list and look at what Benefit in kind tax she'd have to pay - she might not have to contribute toward the car but there will certainly be some tax to pay on it.

The comparison will probably be 250 per month (is that before or after tax?) and sourcing your own car possibly with you paying something towards it, or a company car but then paying the BIK tax.

And when you check the BIK tax don't make the mistake of looking at just one year because it is going up sharply in coming years, so the cost will probably rise as the car ages!
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 14th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    Just another thought. One of the other reasons I run my own car, in 4 years time you'll own an asset. It may not be worth much depending on the mileage accrued over the 4 years, but it'll be worth something. Pay BIK tax for 4 years and you have nothing to show for it. If you chose your car wisely and maintain it well you might get another year or 2 out of it once it's paid off, that'll be 250/month in the back pocket.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 11lb lost so far
    April's Goals - 15/21 NSD - 15/20 Lunches - 20/28 AFD - 21/31 TAFD (take away free days)
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin