Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joanie3
    • By joanie3 13th Apr 18, 7:41 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 4Thanks
    joanie3
    Microsoft Edge issue - what to do please
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:41 AM
    Microsoft Edge issue - what to do please 13th Apr 18 at 7:41 AM
    The other day I was unable to use MS Edge the other day. My 6 year old laptop had taken ages to get started (guess it had been another update), so I signed out & restarted. I use Windows 10.
    Still getting nowhere with MS Edge other than it loading then crashing out.
    Other browsers (Firefox & Crome) worked ok so searched in them as to what I could do to resolve issue, settings etc restart making sure all windows updates are done. Still no luck.
    Several things seems to relate to using Edge...
    So I'm on the ms forum to see what else I can do & see what others have done.
    So long story short, I was no 3 in line for online chat, then no 2, what else to do?
    When they came online they offered to look at what issues there could be. I was hesitant but I'm worried I wasn't hesitant enough as I agreed to clicking the link to download or run software called "applet" (and I could stop this at any time), in too far now (wasn't going to cost me anything but now I'm worried in case it compromises me financially other ways).
    They found a 3rd party software "IBM Trusteer" which conflicts with Edge. I updated on forum for others & it seemed so had others by then, always just too late to have stopped me using this option.
    So problem fixed on Laptop.

• My question is should I have trusted them to take control of my laptop & what should I do to make sure there is no residue so they can control or look at when I'm not looking.

Since then I've not signed back in to laptop.
    It's done now, so I can't undo my actions just rectify the situation.
    I'd appreciate views & more especially help (for being stupid).

Thanks
    Last edited by joanie3; 13-04-2018 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Wording change
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 13th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    They found a 3rd party software "IBM Trusteer"
    Isn't that the "anti-virus" "anti-everything" that banks like to keep trying to make me install???
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 13th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    >So I'm on the ms forum <

What was the URL of this forum?
    • madmaz50
    • By madmaz50 13th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    madmaz50
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    I also had the same issue with 'Edge' of it not loading correctly etc. in W10. I deleted Trusteer 'Rapport' and guess what, Edge now works perfectly again. When you delete 'Rapport' it leaves some hidden folders, in case you want to re-download Rapport again. These supposedly contain simple data, but with the amount of space they used (Mb's) I then looked on line to find out how to remove them as well. After doing that, my PC also worked faster as well.
    When will Microsoft sort this issue out with 'Rapport' ?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    My question is what should I do to make sure there is no residue so they can control or look at when I'm not looking.
    Originally posted by joanie3
    Use System Restore to go back to a time before your laptop was controlled. How? Type rstrui.exe in Cortana/Search, left-mouse-click to run the command and see what restore points you have available. (Note: will not delete any data files BUT will restore IBM Trusteer which you will have to remove again)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 13th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 10,072 Posts
    • 7,554 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    (C)Rapport has long been known to cause slow running and the like on windows machines....no-one should ever install it IMHO
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • joanie3
    • By joanie3 13th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    joanie3
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    I've not used laptop since, as I was concerned (when I'd got my sensible head back on).
    Not sure what the actual URL of the Microsoft forum was Debbie, but I didn't use the top one on the list as they are usually ads.
    It was mentioned it was probable a bank & looking back to the day I think I'd got a message when I used Firefox or Crome about IBM Trusteer, but hadn't seen this message for what seemed like months, so unless there was an update from them that sparked this to appear, I had not done any banking on my laptop that day, usually use iPad (as I'm doing at the moment), but that has its restrictions.
    Wasn't aware that I'd loaded it that day. No issues in recent past with edge.
    Thanks for replying so quickly, I'm out, at medical appointment shortly, so may not be able to do anything till this late afternoon or tonight.
    But will probably take it back to a time prior to this week (as long as data not lost).
    Last edited by joanie3; 13-04-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    ...But will probably take it back to a time prior to this week (as long as data not lost).
    Originally posted by joanie3
    Documents are not lost. Its easy to run - just depends how many (if any) restore points you have.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 13th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 5,165 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    When will Microsoft sort this issue out with 'Rapport' ?
    Originally posted by madmaz50
    Microsoft IBM, do you mean?

Over the years it still seems that Trusteer Rapport continues to have "issues"...
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 8,491 Posts
    • 6,415 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Microsoft IBM, do you mean?

Over the years it still seems that Trusteer Rapport continues to have "issues"...
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Why do people install it ?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Why do people install it ?
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Er, because banks recommend it. e.g. Santander says "We strongly recommend you download the FREE Rapport security software".
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 8,491 Posts
    • 6,415 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Er, because banks recommend it. e.g. Santander says "We strongly recommend you download the FREE Rapport security software".
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    And your point is ? My bank recommend it too but it wont work on Linux, the point is "recommend" not require. If I recommend something , strongly or otherwise I would expect you to research it first, ergo I very strongly recommend you ignore my recommendation
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th Apr 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    And your point is ?
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Sorry - just answering your question. If there's a point I guess banks shouldn't recommend it; people in general will do what banks say (don't they?).
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 13th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    mutley74
    i had a an Edge issue last week - would not start up. I phoned JL tech support who managed to sort it it - had to change something in the Windows config and setting - sorry cant recall details.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Follow Martin