Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 12th Apr 18, 11:19 PM
    • 152Posts
    • 50Thanks
    Lysimache
    Can a terrace be created even with sloping 'floor'/roof?
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:19 PM
    Can a terrace be created even with sloping 'floor'/roof? 12th Apr 18 at 11:19 PM
    This may be a very stupid question, so please bear with me.

I live in a flat. Outside my bedroom window (arrow in the picture points to my window, photo taken from neighbouring room) is the sloping diagonal roof you see that belongs to the extension that juts out like a parallogram just below my bedroom window.

Ignoring planning permission, party walls, freehold consent etc as I'm wondering about what's technically feasible, rather than legally feasible.... if I wanted to extend something out from my window. Not a full extension but say, a terrace of some sort? So I can walk out and sit on a chair, use a telescope etc.

Part of the sloping roof of the extension below is built against my bedroom wall, so it (cheekily?) ends just below where my bedroom window starts. I'm wondering if I can use this roof to create a terrace, or would that just be plain stupid cos it slopes?

Just wondering what sort of roof terrace possibilities are possible when the person below you has an extension with a sloping roof that is built against your wall going up to your window, rather than a flat roof that stops at your floor line. Thanks.

Any ideas? Want to know if these sort of ideas are feasible before I get someone proper round to give quotes etc.
    Last edited by Lysimache; 23-04-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Page 1
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 13th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    if you don't own the roof or the ground below putting something on at window cill level that's big enough to sit out isn't really going to be feasible
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 13th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    • 37,217 Posts
    • 156,784 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    Don't know what sort of chair you are going to find that will stand on a sloping roof and allowing you to be comfortable. You will also need a fence at the end of your terrace, or you risk falling off!

You would also need to ensure the roof is strong enough to support your balcony, you don't want your evening sunset drink to result in them having a surprise dinner guest!

Does the downstairs flat have sole use of the garden? Check they had correct permissions to build what they did. I imagine that your demise ends at your outside walls, so their cheeky sloping roof isn't invading your space, but worth checking.
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 13th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    Hmm, thanks for the responses.

Roof is part of freehold, in which we all partake.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 13th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    Quick Google...

https://bradfabs.co.uk/product/balcony-glass-floor-yorkshire#main

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 15th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    Interesting, thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

678Posts Today

6,570Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin