Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Apr 18, 10:29 PM
    • 10,172Posts
    • 11,448Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Swearing the oath, document & ID requirements ?
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:29 PM
    Swearing the oath, document & ID requirements ? 12th Apr 18 at 10:29 PM
    I had the email with the invite to swear the oath today, I've decided to attend a probate office just to avoid the post.

The requirement for documents to take seems remarkably light, AFAICS its just the "oath" document they send (the one headed "in the high courts of justice" which includes a copy of the will). They dont even ask you to take any ID.

I thought I'd bring my passport just in case, anything else obvious I'm missing or is it that simple?

TIA
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Apr 18, 12:55 AM
    • 38,897 Posts
    • 35,737 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:55 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:55 AM
    I'm afraid I can't remember what ID was requested, but taking some is a good idea. You could phone to check: usually when it's needed they want to see two separate things, so your passport is great, do you also have a driving licence? If not, some other proof of address.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 3,648 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    I'm afraid I can't remember what ID was requested, but taking some is a good idea. You could phone to check: usually when it's needed they want to see two separate things, so your passport is great, do you also have a driving licence? If not, some other proof of address.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    I am not sure what the Probate Office require but my solicitor recently required my driving licence plus recent Council Tax bill or bank statement. In my experience this is the most common combination. Do passports have address on?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 10,172 Posts
    • 11,448 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    All good points, I'll have my DL with me (always do) and that has address on (passport doesn't)

Utility bills can be an issue these days it seems since with electronic statements all you can do is print one out at home amd that's not always acceptable, I think they are becoming outmoded . I don't know if I have anything I'll have a root around.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 13-04-2018 at 8:35 AM.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    I can't remember what I actually needed but I do know that whilst being both POA & executor my passport & an HMRC document (plus the assorted rubbish we all carry around with us normally) were always with me "just in case". Because the one time you don't have it is when you will need it.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 38,897 Posts
    • 35,737 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    I am not sure what the Probate Office require but my solicitor recently required my driving licence plus recent Council Tax bill or bank statement. In my experience this is the most common combination. Do passports have address on?
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    No passports don't have an address on, but they do have a photo, whereas a driving licence doesn't always.

My co-executor struggles a bit with ID because they have no passport and their driving licence is still paper. Fortunately there's a bus pass (with photo) and work ID (with photo) and of course his licence has his address.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 10,172 Posts
    • 11,448 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    Just to conclude this thread, the ID required was ... none whatsoever

• hjghg5
    • By hjghg5 24th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    hjghg5
    • 24th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 24th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    Same here - no ID required at the probate office today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,569Posts Today

9,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin