Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lowermax
    • By Lowermax 12th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Lowermax
    Best way to maximise interest on 8k Savings
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    Best way to maximise interest on 8k Savings 12th Apr 18 at 10:26 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm going around in circles as to the best way to invest my savings.

Although its not mega money, I have around 8k and adding 500 a month, this is currently in a Natwest savings builder which pays 1.5% AER on the first 5k and 1% up to 10k.

Although i don't need access to it immediately, i may need it in the next 12 months, so don't want to lock it away.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to maximise interest?

Thanks

Jonny
Page 1
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 12th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 9,369 Posts
    • 7,425 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    There's an archived MSE page that should give you some ideas. DOn't expect to get rich. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-loophole
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Apr 18, 12:19 AM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 15,452 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:19 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:19 AM
    If you have 6 DDs to use, a couple of Tesco current accounts will give you 3% on 6000.

If you have never had a Nationwide Flexdirect, you can get 5% on 2500 for a year -there is also the Flex monthly saver.

You can cycle round the monthly inputs by SO or FP.
    • Lowermax
    • By Lowermax 16th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lowermax
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    Great, thanks a lot for the advice guys!
    • Lowermax
    • By Lowermax 16th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lowermax
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    If you have 6 DDs to use, a couple of Tesco current accounts will give you 3% on 6000.

If you have never had a Nationwide Flexdirect, you can get 5% on 2500 for a year -there is also the Flex monthly saver.

You can cycle round the monthly inputs by SO or FP.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    I have checked out the Nationwide Flex Account, do you know if i would be able to transfer 1,000 in on pay day, then transfer it straight back out?

Also, could there be any negative impact if i opened lots of current accounts?
    Last edited by Lowermax; 16-04-2018 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Added further question
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 16th Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    I have checked out the Nationwide Flex Account, do you know if i would be able to transfer 1,000 in on pay day, then transfer it straight back out?
    Originally posted by Lowermax
    Yes, you can set-up standing orders for the money to go in and to come back out again on the same day. Although I transfer back out manually online to make sure the money has arrived on the right day.
    Also, could there be any negative impact if i opened lots of current accounts?
    I think the only problem could be a lot of credit searches against you in a short space of time, which may delay your application even if you have a good credit record.
    • thenewcomer
    • By thenewcomer 16th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    thenewcomer
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    i will open a current account a month. dont overdo it. current accounts are not savings accounts, so the credit checks are not as soft
    Aim to retire by 45.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

429Posts Today

6,939Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin