Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pmatt
    • By pmatt 12th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 28Thanks
    pmatt
    Closing accounts, removing overdrafts?
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    Closing accounts, removing overdrafts? 12th Apr 18 at 10:21 PM
    My credit rating seems to have taken a bit of hit recently. I have around 12,000 in credit card debt, all of which is 0% interest, and all of which is being paid off so that it's cleared by the time the 0% rate ends.

I've applied for a few bank accounts in order to get switching incentives. This has gone pretty well.

But I've just been turned down for both First Direct and Halifax, so I think my credit rating needs some repair.

I currently have a NatWest bank account with a balance of 0.05 and an overdraft availability of 2 250. I don't use this account

And I have a Virgin credit card with a balance of 0 and a limit of 3,400. I'm not using this account, either.

Should I close either or both of these accounts?
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 30,220 Posts
    • 18,113 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    Both...unless you've an income, and credit history, to support a large debt and available credit on top.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Apr 18, 5:21 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:21 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:21 AM
    It could just be that First Direct and Halifax have asked themselves the question 'Why does this person keep opening current accounts?', have realised that the likelihood of their accounts actually being intended as your main current account is very low or otherwise find you unattractive as a customer.
    It is probably not connected to the 0% credit card debt.
    Don't close the virgin credit card account. use it for the occasional purchase just to keep it ticking over but don't close because if you close it your available credit utilisation % will increase, making your debt levels look worse than they are.
    Close the Natwest current account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

3,874Users online

Martin's Twitter