Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 12th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,605Posts
    • 2,168Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Natwest - decent saving products in the past?
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    Natwest - decent saving products in the past? 12th Apr 18 at 9:05 PM
    I guess a load of us who have now received the £125 current account switch bonus (and never been involved with Natwest before) are wondering if they periodically offer decent savings products to its existing customers in the past?

They offer the 1.5% Savings Builder - is that as good as it's got in the recent past?
Page 2
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 13th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    I agree.

However, if the penny drops for large numbers of people, NatWest may start losing money on this account and drop the rate. I would hate for us to extol the benefits of the account only to have them drop the decent rate we currently get.

They clearly want to increase the uptake as the recent drop in the monthly funding demonstrates.

I say let's just keep it quiet so you and I don't end up losing out.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    You can keep it. I get better rates than that without having to faff around with ensuring the balance increases by a prescribed amount every month to get any interest.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 13th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 23,905 Thanks
    EachPenny
    You can keep it. I get better rates than that without having to faff around with ensuring the balance increases by a prescribed amount every month to get any interest.
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    And how many of those accounts require you to "faff around" paying in no more than a certain amount each month or require you to set up direct debits plus have minimum monthly pay-in requirements etc?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 13th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 12,873 Posts
    • 11,634 Thanks
    jimjames
    But when you've filled the 5%, 4%, 3%, 2.25%, 2% accounts then where do you go next? Santander at 1.5% (less fee, plus cashback) otherwise you are in sub-1.5% territory.

If 1.5% isn't worthwhile, then why were people so excited when Tesco offered 1.35% and BM 1.45%?
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I can't see why I'd need more than the amount of cash I can keep in all those different accounts. Beyond that I'm investing my money
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    RG2015
    And how many of those accounts require you to "faff around" paying in no more than a certain amount each month or require you to set up direct debits plus have minimum monthly pay-in requirements etc?
    EachPenny,

I know you are right and as I am the most intelligent person I know you do not need to convince anyone else to get any more affirmation!
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 13th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    capital0ne
    But when you've filled the 5%, 4%, 3%, 2.25%, 2% accounts then where do you go next?
    Mugs game, S&S are the only way to build a decent pot of cash!
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    RG2015
    Originally posted by capital0ne
    Good point. Letís ban any discussions on cash interest rates.

Then perhaps all those pesky mugs will ****** off.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 13th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 23,905 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Of course, but where do you put that cash before you invest it? Elsewhere on the forum you've just claimed to have invested your full £20k ISA allowance in two equities in £10k chunks.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5827619

So where was your £20k sitting before you put it into your S&S ISA?
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 13th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Even the strongest S&S advocate would advise keeping a few months worth of living costs in cash.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    Alexland
    Even the strongest S&S advocate would advise keeping a few months worth of living costs in cash.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Yes but you can do that by having a set of 5% regular savers offset by a few months each especially if you are a couple driving 4 individual easy access 5% regular savers with offset dates from joint Nationwide and Santander current accounts. After that the money can go into investments.

(Although I also have an HSBC one and plan to take up the First Direct one too - although the £100 for leaving offer is tempting).

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 13-04-2018 at 8:24 PM.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 13th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    ceredigion
    I can't see why I'd need more than the amount of cash I can keep in all those different accounts. Beyond that I'm investing my money
    Originally posted by jimjames
    I often read such things on here and its easy for contributed to look at their own circumstances ,then apply that rationale across the board. For me , yes I do have all these accounts, in fact they are all doubled up as there are two of us and they are all full of money. But as a percentage of total asset this is a sensible figure. Its about not having all your eggs in one basket.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 13th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 23,905 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    Well if the news about Lloyds and BoS is true then the Savings Builder just became even more interesting - no need to faff around finding direct debits to get 1.5% on a £5k deposit.
    • matty17r
    • By matty17r 13th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 8,592 Thanks
    matty17r
    Thanks for posting this. This account might suit us especially as you can have 3 between a couple. Take the place of one set of BOS accounts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

3,292Users online

Martin's Twitter