Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gopink
    • By gopink 12th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gopink
    suspended from work - new job
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    suspended from work - new job 12th Apr 18 at 8:35 PM
    Son has been suspended from work on a gross misconduct charge. He has been offered a new job by a competitor in the trade. He postponed the hearing due to being unwell, ie tonsillitis and ear infection which doc has prescribed medication for. , Meeting should have been today postponed until Monday. He is on full pay until investigation is over, he does not want to return to his work place, he knows he will be dismissed and does not want to see his colleagues on that basis. He wants to hand notice in when is the best time, now or wait until Monday before meeting.
Page 1
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    It does not matter, it will. It stop the disciplinary proceedings and they can still find against him in his absence.

He is still required to serve his notice, and his reference can state that he resigned while under investigation for gross misconduct.

Did he do it? If not, he needs to defend himself. That new job he got is quite likely to be withdrawn once the reference arrives with his new employer.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 13th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    Given that he knows he's going to be sacked, presumably he did indeed do whatever 'it' was - on this basis, I'd have thought he's better off resigning ASAP.

It's probably seeing whether he can check what format any reference would take - it may state nothing more than dates of employment and salary - if so, he can then truthfully tell his new employer that he resigned and hopefully no further questions should be asked. I'd be a bit worried about the new employer finding out what happened via word of mouth though - I'm guessing that there may be people from the two companies who know each other and might blab!
    • Energize
    • By Energize 13th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Energize
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    If he's been offered a new job why would he not hand in his notice immediately?

He wants to get started in the new position as soon as possible. A reference saying he resigned while under investigation is better than a reference saying he was fired due to gross misconduct in any case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,486Posts Today

9,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin