Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ollie Orpin
    • By Ollie Orpin 12th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Ollie Orpin
    Difference Between DVD Player and Blue Ray Player
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    Difference Between DVD Player and Blue Ray Player 12th Apr 18 at 8:24 PM
    We are on a Virgin TV full package and have HD Channels. I also have a lot of old DVD's which I sometimes lake to watch. My old DVD player about 15 years old is very basic and may soon need replacing. Can I buy a cheap DVD player that will give me a better picture.What would the advantage be of purchasing A Blue Ray player which I believe would be a lot more expensive. what extra does A blue ray Player do over a DVD Player. Any suggestions what model would be suitable for my simple needs. I don't want or need to spend a lot of money.is there any advantage of buying what I believe is called an upscalling model of a DVD player.
    Last edited by Ollie Orpin; 12-04-2018 at 8:28 PM.
Page 1
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 12th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Alexd52
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    Depends what you mean by much more expensive, you can get decent blu ray players for under 100. Best thing to do is go on-line and research what features you want, read reviews and go from there.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 12th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 8,498 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    What TV are you planning to watch them on or are you planning changing your TV too, and do you envisage buying blu-ray discs?
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 12th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    We are on a Virgin TV full package and have HD Channels. I also have a lot of old DVD's which I sometimes lake to watch. My old DVD player about 15 years old is very basic and may soon need replacing. Can I buy a cheap DVD player that will give me a better picture.What would the advantage be of purchasing A Blue Ray player which I believe would be a lot more expensive. what extra does A blue ray Player do over a DVD Player. Any suggestions what model would be suitable for my simple needs. I don't want or need to spend a lot of money.is there any advantage of buying what I believe is called an upscalling model of a DVD player.
    Originally posted by Ollie Orpin
    It won't make your old DVD's look better but if you buy a new film on Blue ray it will look a lot better then the DVD version
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    • 10,844 Posts
    • 7,677 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    I suppose the big question is, do you watch many DVDs and are you planning on watching many in the future?

My own blu-ray player hasn't been switched on in months since Amazon stopped their DVD/blu-ray home rental service and tbh I can't envisage a time when I'll need to use it again.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 13th Apr 18, 7:17 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:17 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:17 AM
    Sell them all why they!!!8217;re still worth something.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 13th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    I suppose the big question is, do you watch many DVDs and are you planning on watching many in the future?

My own blu-ray player hasn't been switched on in months since Amazon stopped their DVD/blu-ray home rental service and tbh I can't envisage a time when I'll need to use it again.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Same here. I have a collection of old DVDs from the US and when I play them, I feel like I am watching a movie through vaseline-smeared goggles!

I was sad when LoveFilm reached its demise (thanks, Amazon!) and haven't yet decided whether to go with Cinema Paradiso or some other outlet (Netflix and Amazon Prime aren't great for new movies).

In answer to the OP's question therefore, I'd be careful not to spend a wad of money on an expensive lovely new BlueRay player unless you are sure you will either rent or buy BlueRay discs. DVD/BlueRay, while not going the way of VHS, is not the future of video entertainment. However, a decent BlueRay player can be bought for less than 100. For example, this one.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    I wouldn't buy a blue ray player to play DVDs. A modern DVD player may be better than your older one and should offer hdmi connection which could improve the quality.

A neighbour bought a Sony player last year which remembers where you watched to on 6 different discs. Very useful for box sets.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dvd-players/dvp-sr760h

Possibly cheaper elsewhere.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 10,844 Posts
    • 7,677 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    I wouldn't buy a blue ray player to play DVDs. A modern DVD player may be better than your older one and should offer hdmi connection which could improve the quality.

A neighbour bought a Sony player last year which remembers where you watched to on 6 different discs. Very useful for box sets.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dvd-players/dvp-sr760h

Possibly cheaper elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Why not, a good blu-ray player will play DVDs, and upscale them too, just as good as an equivalent DVD player plus with the advantage of playing blu-ray discs should he want to in the future.

And for the umpteenth time it's Blu-Ray, not Blue Ray!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Why not, a good blu-ray player will play DVDs, and upscale them too, just as good as an equivalent DVD player plus with the advantage of playing blu-ray discs should he want to in the future.
    A blu ray player playing dvds wont be any better than a upscaling dvd player. Its a pointless expense unless the op buys blu ray discs.

• Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 13th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    Cisco001
    Are you going to buy blu-way disc in future?
    If not, there is no harm to get a 20 DVD player.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 13th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    dunroving
    Are you going to buy blu-way disc in future?
    If not, there is no harm to get a 20 DVD player.
    Originally posted by Cisco001
    I think you did that on purpose to p*** off Neil:

<<snip>>
    And for the umpteenth time it's Blu-Ray, not Blue Ray!
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 10,844 Posts
    • 7,677 Thanks
    neilmcl
    A blu ray player playing dvds wont be any better than a upscaling dvd player. Its a pointless expense unless the op buys blu ray discs.
    Nonsense. There's absolutely no reason that a half decent blu-ray player can upscale as well as a similarly priced DVD player.
    • andrewmp
    • By andrewmp 13th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    andrewmp
    35 for a Blu Ray player

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT167EB-SMART-3D-Blu-ray-DVD-Player-Built-USB-Playback-/323204131035?hash=item4b4077a8db
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    • 10,844 Posts
    • 7,677 Thanks
    neilmcl
    And quite a reasonable one at that.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 13th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 7,292 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    almillar
    Anybody considering a new DVD player, or a cheap Blu-Ray player, should seriously think about a PS3 - all of which contain a BD drive (Blu-Ray, DVD), can play PS3 and PS1 games, iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV, the list goes on and on. Get the original for well under 100 these days. Add the PS3 remote control to make it more living room friendly.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Nonsense. There's absolutely no reason that a half decent blu-ray player can upscale as well as a similarly priced DVD player.
    ^ Typed correctly?

Similarly priced? What about equal dvd performance at a lower price?

• neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 10,844 Posts
    • 7,677 Thanks
    neilmcl
    ^ Typed correctly?

Similarly priced? What about equal dvd performance at a lower price?
    See post #14
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    See post #14
    Seen it thanks. Try comparing new against new

• Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 13th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Can someone please recommend the best Blew-Jay player under 100?

Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,185Posts Today

8,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin