Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottish lassy
    • By scottish lassy 12th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 250Posts
    • 1,323Thanks
    scottish lassy
    Denture colour
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    Denture colour 12th Apr 18 at 8:22 PM
    Advice and help please.

For various health reasons I am having to get complete dentures. Today I went to get my bite checked and was also asked what colour I wanted ....... HELP!!!! As I'm going to have to wear dentures, I'd like nice ones BUT not something that shouts out dentures. The dentist showed me about 8 colours and pointed to one which he said was a natural colour, so I picked the one next to that (lighter).

He said that my next visit will be a wax try on (rear teeth) and I will still be able to change my mind before my front extractions and immediate dentures.

I guess my question is, what would be a nice natural shade for a fair skinned, brown haired, 50 something lady??
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 36,007 Posts
    • 46,362 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    Just be guided by your dentist. He is far more of an expert than any of us random folk on here .
    You seem to have chosen well anyway
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 12th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 8,847 Posts
    • 10,526 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    Go with what you like. What you think looks good in you. They're your teeth!

Sometimes it's a good idea to take a trusted friend along - the sort you know WOULD tell you your bum looked big in that! Husbands are (I find) pretty useless generally!

The dentist has picked what he thinks would be a nice shade, you feel that one just a bit lighter would be preferable to you. Just looking at shade guides though is really no help at all to the patient. It will only be when they're all made up that you will get to see what it' looks' like. Don't get too wrapped up in this, and don't over think it. If you like it, say 'yes', if you don't, say 'no'!

Be aware that shade is just one of the factors that can make the teeth look natural or false. To you want them all straight and model-perfect, or a few little crossed crooked bits to make them look more real? Do you show a lot of tooth, or just the tips when you smile? If you have some photos that show your smile in times when your teeth looked better - those might be helpful to the technician making them (assuming that's what you'd like them to look like!).

An honest friend can sometimes be helpful, but check the dentist doesn't mind - and only do it if you're comfortable with that idea. For some, that is an absolutely horrific idea!

Another thing for you - and the friend - to be aware of is that the try in stage in wax will always be a bit more loose than the finished item. So that might just affect how your mouth reacts to them, so your mouth might not move in a completely natural way to start with. You have to try and look beyond that.

Good luck with it. You'll be fine. Sometimes it's worse to be offered too much choice!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Apollonia
    • By Apollonia 13th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Apollonia
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    In addition to what Toothsmith said, ask to look at the try in teeth in natural daylight if the dentist doesn't offer.

Even standing by the surgery window they will look different to the shade seen under the bright operating light of the dental chair.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    My denture colour was matched to my existing teeth so looked 'natural' to my colouring.
    • scottish lassy
    • By scottish lassy 14th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    scottish lassy
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    Thanks folks for your advice. I had not thought of looking at them in a different light. I shall also take advice and guidance from my dentist whom I've come to trust completely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,969Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin