Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AntoBrow
    • By AntoBrow 12th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AntoBrow
    Wing Mirror Replacement
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    Wing Mirror Replacement 12th Apr 18 at 7:44 PM
    Hi,

Today a delivery driver in a white van damaged my wing mirror and my scratch the side of my car. Took all his details etc so I can report it to my insurance company but I'm concerned about doing this.

I'm 32 but a new driver and I've only had the car for 1 month and I'm worried that claiming on the insurance may cause my insurance to go up. I've been told by different people to just get it repaired but unsure of what is the best option.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Regards
Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    Hi,

Today a delivery driver in a white van damaged my wing mirror and my scratch the side of my car. Took all his details etc so I can report it to my insurance company but I'm concerned about doing this.

Regards
    Originally posted by AntoBrow
    It will be expensive either way. If you are going to do it properly, you need to report it to the police too.

• jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    As above, But more importantly you've not told us what car its is, year and model. Some cars are very easy to swap wing mirrors over and cost a small sum of money. Are the scratches deep, a MOP can get thinner scratches out.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 12th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    It will be expensive either way. If you are going to do it properly, you need to report it to the police too.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Why involve the police?

No one is injured and all details have been exchanged.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 12th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    marlot
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    I haven't seen a wing mirror in years :-)

When I clipped the door mirror recently, the replacement was 600 + painting!!!!!
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 12th Apr 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:23 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:23 PM
    I haven't seen a wing mirror in years :-)

When I clipped the door mirror recently, the replacement was 600 + painting!!!!!
    Originally posted by marlot
    Perhaps they charged you double for being such a pedant?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 13th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 3,005 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    You REPORT the incident to your insurance company but you CLAIM from the van driver, if you have his insurance details as you intimate above.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 6,012 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    Depends on the car and age of car. I replaced some door mirrors on a 206 years ago more than once, I used to get them off eBay for around 20-30. Five minutes to fit.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 13th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    datostar
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Not if there's no injuries and they've exchanged details.
    • AntoBrow
    • By AntoBrow 13th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AntoBrow
    Hi all,

It's a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2016.

Not sure if there is any need to report this to the police.

Didn't get the insurance details but I have spoken with the company the driver works for so it shouldn't be a problem to get this.

The scratch is pretty deep, I think it's about 3-4mm deep.

Still unsure of whether to go with my insurance company or just sort out between me and the company.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    z1a
    Hi all,

It's a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2016.

Not sure if there is any need to report this to the police.

Didn't get the insurance details but I have spoken with the company the driver works for so it shouldn't be a problem to get this.

The scratch is pretty deep, I think it's about 3-4mm deep.

Still unsure of whether to go with my insurance company or just sort out between me and the company.
    Originally posted by AntoBrow
    That aint a scratch, it's a gouge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,608Posts Today

9,232Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin