Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SunDun111
    • By SunDun111 12th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SunDun111
    Help credit card Fraud
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    Help credit card Fraud 12th Apr 18 at 5:47 PM
    A few weeks ago, someone used my PIN number and took 240 pounds out of my account, I rang my bank when i found out in the morning, and they was investigating as it occured at a tesco close to where i live, i then discovered my friend stole it and took the money out, he gave me the cash back. I didnt know what to say to the bank so i have carried on letting them investigate, as my friends said it would look strange if i cancelled the investigation, they just said the bank wouldnt refund me, but the bank keeps calling me, i dont know what to do? What if they say i have acted fraudulently which is a criminal offence, i am a bit nervous any help? I just assumed they would of told me by no they cant refund me.
Page 2
    • John-K
    • By John-K 13th Apr 18, 7:52 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    Stop scaremongering. OP says mistake. That's the end of it.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I dont know which is worse, you actually believing this, or you just making it up and posting.

The bank will check the pictures, your advice is moronic, and will lead to trouble. You are also advocating hiding a theft, so your morals are pretty suspect too.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 13th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 9,253 Posts
    • 13,430 Thanks
    meer53
    I dont know which is worse, you actually believing this, or you just making it up and posting.

The bank will check the pictures, your advice is moronic, and will lead to trouble. You are also advocating hiding a theft, so your morals are pretty suspect too.
    Originally posted by John-K
    You don't really think the bank will check CCTV for a one off withdrawal of 240 do you ? They won't, your advice is moronic. The OP should just call them and cancel the investigation. I've lost count of the number of cases i've dealt with where people call to cancel investigations once they find out their darling teenagers have dipped into their accounts. The bank won't care, why should they ? If they've already refunded the OP they'll just re debit their account.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Apr 18, 5:42 AM
    • 25,080 Posts
    • 12,334 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever

Originally posted by John-K
    Most ATM 's in UK don't actually have a camera to take pictures of withdrawals.
    I agree 240 one off transaction is small fry in the general way of things and if the OP rings up the fraud number and explains that will be the end of the matter.
    At the moment there is no ''actual'' theft as the money has been repaid and nobody has lost out (as long as the OP does not pursue the claim).
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 14th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    nic_c
    Fraud departments deal with non-frauds all the time, where someone reports fraud and subsequently withdraws it once they found out its a family member - you wouldn't realise how common it is.

The OP just simply needs to phone up and cancel the investigation and say it isn't fraud. Whether they say a friend took it out or that they did it and "forgot", it will simply be closed, and money repaid will be taken back. They will not investigate it further, no comparing photos to corroborate stories or closing accounts. Its one transaction for a relatively small sum.
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 15th Apr 18, 4:37 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    maxximus75
    Remember to change your pin on all of your cards!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin