Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • barrydh
    • By barrydh 12th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 5Thanks
    power of attorney, should I?
    • #1
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    power of attorney, should I? 12th Apr 18 at 5:30 PM
    im in a difficult situation. My dad is 86 and is reasonably wealthy. It has become apparent quite a substantial amount of money in his account is being spent by a family member and her 2 adult kids
    ( cars, holidays etc) Should i get Power of Attorney to safeguard my dads money? If i did would i be entitled to see bank statements and take my dads credit card from them?

Page 1
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 12th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    You can't initiate a POA, it has to be your father's decision to make one. Assuming he still has capacity. If not you'll have to apply to the court of protection.
    Last edited by Sea Shell; 12-04-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Apr 18, 9:51 PM
    • 7,110 Posts
    • 9,333 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:51 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:51 PM
    Has your dad given them permission to use his card?

    If not, he (not you) can cancel the card and if neccessary, report the theft.
    If he has, then unless he has lost capacity, it is his choice.

    If you are worried, talk to him. If he wants to, he could give you power of attorney, which would allow you to access his bank statements. However, unless he has lost capacity (in which case he is no longer able to grant a POA) he could still give the card to the other family member and give them permission to use it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • 21,667 Posts
    • 58,616 Thanks
    • #4
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • #4
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    How do you know that your Father hasn't given this family member the money rather than them taking it?

    How has this family member got hold of your Father's bank details?

    As for your question:
    power of attorney, should I?
    as has already pointed out, it's not a case of what you should do, it's what your Father wants to do.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 13-04-2018 at 8:09 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,341Posts Today

6,655Users online

Martin's Twitter