Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 12th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 488Posts
    • 316Thanks
    Gary123456790
    SPAM ! Mods please help.
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    SPAM ! Mods please help. 12th Apr 18 at 5:07 PM
    Is there a mod on this board that can remove all the rubbish, its unreadable.

Although I do chuckle at the time someone has clearly spend spamming a forum with USA phone numbers, not realising that it is a UK forum!

Ta.
Page 1
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 12th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    The mods for this board are currently showing off-line. I've hit report on one of each bot's posts hoping it will summon someone though.
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 12th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    They seem to be disappearing now so there is hope !
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 33,186 Posts
    • 17,925 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    There have been two waves of spam today and all have been deleted. Just keep on hitting the spam button and it will be deleted.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 12th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 5,989 Posts
    • 4,045 Thanks
    fwor
    Just hit the Spam button - it needs no moderator involvement at all. The reason the spam vanishes is because people press the button.

It takes more than one person, but you don't have to do it for long to work out how many people it takes to make it go away.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 32,837 Posts
    • 38,429 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    Board guides are not "moderators"

Moderator actions are taken by forum team
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 12th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    Thanks all - seems to work.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 12th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    I thought the "spam" button got removed because people were using it maliciously? (I don't see it on my interface)

Unless you mean the report button? I was under the impression that worked differently and still needed human intervention?

Regardless of how it works, I'm glad to see the spam gone and will continue to report when it appears.
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 12th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    I see Report and Spam buttons, after the Quick Reply, Thankyou and 2 Quote mini-buttons.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 33,186 Posts
    • 17,925 Thanks
    kingstreet
    I see Report and Spam buttons, after the Quick Reply, Thankyou and 2 Quote mini-buttons.
    Originally posted by Gary123456790
    ... moi aussi.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 12th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 25,632 Thanks
    thorsoak
    I'm also reporting a couple of "spams" every time I log in!
    • Imma Number
    • By Imma Number 12th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Imma Number
    I think it'd be nice if people who report spam correctly and don't abuse it got double spam hitter points so it didn't take so many people hitting spam to get rid of them.

PS Spam button only shows up if you are logged in.
    • minimike2
    • By minimike2 12th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    minimike2
    Is there a mod on this board that can remove all the rubbish, its unreadable.

Although I do chuckle at the time someone has clearly spend spamming a forum with USA phone numbers, not realising that it is a UK forum!

Ta.
    It won't have been "someone". These spam threads are usually the result of an indiscriminate bot which just posts wherever lets it register. All done on scripts.
    I am a mortgage industry professional. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • fwor
    • By fwor 12th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 5,989 Posts
    • 4,045 Thanks
    fwor
    It won't have been "someone". These spam threads are usually the result of an indiscriminate bot which just posts wherever lets it register. All done on scripts.
    Originally posted by minimike2
    Indeed - but "someone" has to set up the scripts, and if you look closely, it seems to have been done by only a small number of people - possibly just one person, if you look carefully at the typos and finer detail.

Quite why they are prepared to put that much effort into repeated failure I can't quite figure out, and I'm not sure that anyone ever will.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 12th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    Their plan is to get their bogus phone number appearing at the top of search engine hits, so when somebody needs support with Amazon, Comcast or whoever, they will call the number not realising they are actually calling a scammer.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 12th Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    • 5,989 Posts
    • 4,045 Thanks
    fwor
    Their plan is to get their bogus phone number appearing at the top of search engine hits
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Even I had managed to work that out. The thing I can't understand is that this particular "campaign" has failed (as far as I can tell) to get any of their spam to stick, anywhere on this forum, having tried for months. So why, if there is no reward (i.e. their spam never appears on any search engines) do they persist, month after month?

This is not the first time - we had the "Man woman problem" one from India and the "Discount K.i.t.c.h.e.n.s in <insert random town name>" before, and they were similarly complete failures in terms of their aim to get onto Google.

All I can assume is that someone is employed to do it, and they get paid to do it - so they continue to do it whether it works or not. Makes it pretty pointless, but that seems to be how it is.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 13th Apr 18, 7:18 AM
    • 9,667 Posts
    • 7,725 Thanks
    prowla
    I don't think the site is doing enough to combat these spams and it is ruining the forums for me.

The "it's nasty people" or "it's bots" we can't control is a lame excuse.

As it stands, I login to the site and if I see spams I report one and then l close my browser window and do something else.

These spams are to a formula and there are many similar ones at the same time; it would not be impossible to implement rules/filters to prevent them.

I don't understand why it's not being done.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 13th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Raxiel
    I don't see the same:

I'm logged in (obviously, or I wouldn't be posted) but no spam button for me.

I guess they don't trust me

Edit: I tried changing the forum skin, I have 'default', '2014 redesign' (which looks the same) and 'new masthead (fixed width)' (Holy 2001information superhighway batman!). No spam buttons on any of them
    Last edited by Raxiel; 13-04-2018 at 4:21 PM.
    • Imma Number
    • By Imma Number 13th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Imma Number
    Odd. It should look like this (assuming I can get image links to work):

Maybe a forum mod can help?
    Last edited by Imma Number; 13-04-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 13th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Raxiel
    I've sent an email to the forum team, will have to see what they say.

Tried multiple browsers and machines, so its certainly account related.

After looking at a couple of threads on the site feedback board, it does seem like there are others in the same situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter