Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Help_123
    • By Help_123 12th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Help_123
    Offer not acknowledged
    • #1
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    Offer not acknowledged 12th Apr 18 at 4:06 PM
    Hi all. I'm looking for some advice please. I'll try and keep this short.
    - Viewed a house on Saturday (there is a lot of interest in this house, 3 viewings when we were there and a couple more later in the day). The house is advertised at offers in excess of £xxx. We put an offer in on Saturday of £5000 more than the stated price. There was already 1 offer on the table, but we were the higher offer.
    - I called the Estate Agent Tuesday afternoon as I hadn't heard anything back. The Estate Agent confirmed that there were more viewings on Wednesday so the vendor wanted to wait. We really want to house, and think it's worth and extra £5000, so we upped the offer on Tuesday to £10,000 more than the stated price.
    - It is now late afternoon on Thursday and I've not heard a thing. The vendor hasn't even acknowledged our offer. To be honest the offer is not insulting. It is advertised as offers in excess of £xxx and we have put an offer in of £10,000 more than that.
    - I assume the vendor is waiting until there are more offers on the table and start a bidding war. But to be honest the house isn't worth more than what we have offered, even the Estate Agent told us that (we got friendly with them and they slipped up a bit by saying someone would struggle to get a mortgage for more than what we have offered as it's not worth more).
    I'm really confused. When we were selling our house we had a couple of offers on the table, the same day we accepted the highest offer, job done, no games.
    I'm really frustrated as we love the house and I'm constantly on edge waiting for my phone to ring.
    Any advice?
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    dunroving
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    Hi all. I'm looking for some advice please. I'll try and keep this short.
    - Viewed a house on Saturday (there is a lot of interest in this house, 3 viewings when we were there and a couple more later in the day). The house is advertised at offers in excess of £xxx. We put an offer in on Saturday of £5000 more than the stated price. There was already 1 offer on the table, but we were the higher offer.
    - I called the Estate Agent Tuesday afternoon as I hadn't heard anything back. The Estate Agent confirmed that there were more viewings on Wednesday so the vendor wanted to wait. We really want to house, and think it's worth and extra £5000, so we upped the offer on Tuesday to £10,000 more than the stated price.
    - It is now late afternoon on Thursday and I've not heard a thing. The vendor hasn't even acknowledged our offer. To be honest the offer is not insulting. It is advertised as offers in excess of £xxx and we have put an offer in of £10,000 more than that.
    - I assume the vendor is waiting until there are more offers on the table and start a bidding war. But to be honest the house isn't worth more than what we have offered, even the Estate Agent told us that (we got friendly with them and they slipped up a bit by saying someone would struggle to get a mortgage for more than what we have offered as it's not worth more).
    I'm really confused. When we were selling our house we had a couple of offers on the table, the same day we accepted the highest offer, job done, no games.
    I'm really frustrated as we love the house and I'm constantly on edge waiting for my phone to ring.
    Any advice?
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Help_123
    If the level of interest is as high as you have described, the EA will be (a) busy with arranging the other viewings, and (b) aware that the vendor may be able to sell for substantially more than the asking price.

    Unfortunately, the situation isn't first come, first served so they will probably go to a closing date for all "full and final offers", rather than starting a bidding war.

    Regardless, if you don't think the house is worth more than your offer and you are not prepared/able to offer more, you can't do much more than wait.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 10,892 Posts
    • 14,363 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    Blimey, it's only been one day since your last offer and you're bidding against yourselves. They know full well that if they leave it another day, you may well go back with a higher figure again. Sounds a bit like you've shot yourself in the foot.


    They may be at work and unable to take calls, away for the night, on a course, not had a chance to even talk to each other... maybe they're having second thoughts about selling. I've known people take their houses off the second they get an offer. I've also had an EA take my number down wrong so I'd leave it until tomorrow and ring - although I bet you anything they'll have viewings booked over the weekend so you won't hear anything until next week.


    It's a horrible feeling waiting for an EA to ring re an offer. It's rarely like on Location Location Location where they call back in 15 seconds!


    Good luck.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    dunroving
    • #4
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    <<snip>>

    It's a horrible feeling waiting for an EA to ring re an offer. It's rarely like on Location Location Location where they call back in 15 seconds!


    Good luck.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    That show has a lot to answer for!
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 10,892 Posts
    • 14,363 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • #5
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • #5
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    That show has a lot to answer for!
    Originally posted by dunroving
    Indeed - I've no idea why I love it so much LOL. They're like family, Phil and Kirstie. I've seen some old episodes tens of times
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 12th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    • #6
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • #6
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    ..as I always say, however high the offers may go, and whatever Uncle Joe Cobley and the rest of the world think it's worth, the mortgage valuer will be the one who decides!
    EDIT
    or Uncle TOM Cobley, even!
    Last edited by victoriavictorious; 12-04-2018 at 6:08 PM.
    • nicmyles
    • By nicmyles 12th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    nicmyles
    • #7
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • #7
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    Crikey, never raise your offer before it's rejected!

    No reason not to keep chasing the EA daily for an answer though. You could tell them you have other irons in the fire and need a decision?
    • Help_123
    • By Help_123 12th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Help_123
    • #8
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • #8
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    I suppose all I can do is just sit and wait. Viewing another house on Saturday so fingers crossed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,289Posts Today

7,701Users online

Martin's Twitter