Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marty922
    • By Marty922 12th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Marty922
    I want a replacement not a refund
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    I want a replacement not a refund 12th Apr 18 at 3:13 PM
    Hi,

I have been offered a refund for an item I bought online in November 2016 as it was defective and failed a few weeks ago.

It was a chore to get them to accept that it was reasnoable for it to be expected to last longer than a year (electric shower)

They have offered a refund, but a replacement of the same make and model (still available) would now cost 3x the price from other retailers. My retailer does not stock the item any longer.

Is there any law compelling them to replace rather than refund? (I appreciate the question is normally the reverse)

Thanks
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 11,643 Posts
    • 8,418 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    No, they are well within their rights to offer you a refund. You're actually quite lucky that they're not deducting any mount for the usage you've had from it, as they would be legally entitled to do after a year and a half of ownership.

The law is quite clear, you cannot insist on a remedy that is disproportionate in cost to another.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,213Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter