Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 12th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 6,212Posts
    • 8,014Thanks
    pinkteapot
    Changing leaded glass in uPVC to plain wouldn't put buyers off, right?
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    Changing leaded glass in uPVC to plain wouldn't put buyers off, right? 12th Apr 18 at 2:53 PM
    Our house is a 1990 build with modern uPVC double glazing (dark brown wood effect frames). The glass is leaded (diamond pattern). I hate it - I feel like a zoo animal looking through a fence. I'm currently getting quotes to replace all the sealed units - 39 of them - with plain glass instead.

This won't massively put buyers off, right?

I'm hoping it's one of those things where some people prefer plain, some people prefer leaded, so you'll never suit everyone.

One of the guys who came to quote said he does more jobs changing plain to leaded! I know leaded is more expensive - is it seen as 'better'?

In general, I do what *I* want with the house (within reason!), but this will be a pretty significant outlay for something that certainly won't add any value. Just want to make sure it won't lose us any.
Page 3
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 13th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 6,579 Posts
    • 17,666 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Why does anyone have brown uPVC frames?
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Wouldn't white uPVC windows look a bit odd with dark oak mock-Tudor beams? (although not so bad if the walls are painted white rather than brick)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 13th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    • 6,579 Posts
    • 17,666 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Whoops! Sorry, I didn't realise you lived in that house!
    As I recall, it was at the bottom of a steep north facing slope, with a boggy garden, an A class road just behind and a refuse transfer station dominating the main view.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Lucky the wind was blowing the aroma from the nearby sewage works in the opposite direction or you'd have really been put off buying then. (and cannot believe you didn't spot it was metres away from the route of HS2 )
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 13th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Stratus
    Further to my earlier post there is a thread on this site discussing removing the leading from window units.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=50324

Google brings up lots of other forums also discussing the same issue.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 13th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 8,953 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Lucky the wind was blowing the aroma from the nearby sewage works in the opposite direction or you'd have really been put off buying then. (and cannot believe you didn't spot it was metres away from the route of HS2 )
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    ... "The property benefits from proximal mains drainage services, and excellent local and national train services. Properties of this calibre are rare to the market; offer immediately to secure your dream"...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,328Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter