Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 12th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 6,293Posts
    • 8,140Thanks
    pinkteapot
    Changing leaded glass in uPVC to plain wouldn't put buyers off, right?
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    Changing leaded glass in uPVC to plain wouldn't put buyers off, right? 12th Apr 18 at 2:53 PM
    Our house is a 1990 build with modern uPVC double glazing (dark brown wood effect frames). The glass is leaded (diamond pattern). I hate it - I feel like a zoo animal looking through a fence. I'm currently getting quotes to replace all the sealed units - 39 of them - with plain glass instead.

This won't massively put buyers off, right?

I'm hoping it's one of those things where some people prefer plain, some people prefer leaded, so you'll never suit everyone.

One of the guys who came to quote said he does more jobs changing plain to leaded! I know leaded is more expensive - is it seen as 'better'?

In general, I do what *I* want with the house (within reason!), but this will be a pretty significant outlay for something that certainly won't add any value. Just want to make sure it won't lose us any.
Page 2
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 12th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 9,140 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    I don't see it as a waste of money - depends on the OP's perspective, the house involved, enough light in house, quality of glass in them at the moment... so many factors, so I think those saying "waste of money" are missing the point. I might as well point at 83.7% of those with iPhones and say "waste of money"... OP, if you want to do it for your "home", why not?

It was a style, popular in the 70's and 80's, and is getting less fashionable. I suspect two identical 1990's houses, one with leaded glass, one without, would sell for the same price, give or take a fiver, but the plain glass would be slightly/considerably easier to sell.

Given the OP is in no hurry to sell, the loss on investment may be minimal. Replacing the glass only in window frames is pretty cheap, especially if you ring round a few fitters.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 12th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 6,230 Thanks
    kinger101
    I'd never even look at a house with diamond leaded windows UPVC windows.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 12th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,732 Thanks
    Slithery
    It's an easy enough job to DIY, that way the only cost is for the double-glazing units.
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 12th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Stratus
    Are the leaded parts not just pieces of plastic stuck on to the glazing unit?

Our units had fake white glazing bars stuck on the inside and outside which just prised off with a screwdriver and the adhesive residue was cleaned up with silicone sealant remover and a sharp blade.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 26,885 Posts
    • 96,662 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I wouldn't pass on a good property that ticked other boxes simply because of awful, fake leaded lights.

When house-buying, it's the whole package that counts, not individual bits of detail. The immutable elements should be the first consideration, and if one can get those important ducks in line, then naff windows come somewhere between, "ghastly shell style bathroom suite" and "artexed dining room" in terms of importance.
    "Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes."
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 38,302 Posts
    • 160,943 Thanks
    silvercar
    My house was built in the 1930s. Each house on the road is different. When we moved in the windows were single glazed wood but with mock diamond shaped lead. They were not the originals and drafty in places. We wanted to replace with upvc double glazing for warmth but couldn't afford to do all at once, so we felt we had to do what we could to maintain the least difference between the windows. Now they are all upvc double glazed with fake lead diamonds.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    • 8,790 Posts
    • 23,956 Thanks
    EachPenny
    One of the guys who came to quote said he does more jobs changing plain to leaded! I know leaded is more expensive - is it seen as 'better'?
    Originally posted by pinkteapot
    I think it is a case not so much of 'better' as what suits the building. In architecture very small details can make a very big difference to the overall appearance of a house - architects can spend hours debating the fenestration

The mock leaded windows are part of the whole mock-Tudor look, changing the windows to non-leaded may make no difference, or it might make the building subtly less (or more?) attractive. As other houses nearby have already converted to plain glass you could get an idea of the effect.... but if you don't like leaded windows to start with you may be slightly biased towards appreciating those that have been changed to plain glass.

Personally I'd go with ReadingTim's suggestion and start by changing some of the windows where they are less noticable and see how you feel about it.

Another solution might be to buy a small garden shed (if you don't have spare storage space) and ask the glass fitter to quote for fitting new plain units, but not disposing of the old ones - which you then put into the new shed and keep until you come to sell. That way you could tell any potential purchasers that if they prefer leaded windows they could easily get the old ones refitted
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Apr 18, 10:36 PM
    • 8,790 Posts
    • 23,956 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I wouldn't pass on a good property that ticked other boxes simply because of awful, fake leaded lights.

When house-buying, it's the whole package that counts, not individual bits of detail. The immutable elements should be the first consideration, and if one can get those important ducks in line, then naff windows come somewhere between, "ghastly shell style bathroom suite" and "artexed dining room" in terms of importance.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    What I want to know is when you came to view my house, and why you are being so rude about it
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Apr 18, 2:49 AM
    • 26,885 Posts
    • 96,662 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What I want to know is when you came to view my house, and why you are being so rude about it
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Whoops! Sorry, I didn't realise you lived in that house!
    As I recall, it was at the bottom of a steep north facing slope, with a boggy garden, an A class road just behind and a refuse transfer station dominating the main view.

However, it was the mock marble fireplace with artificial coals from B&Q that turned us against it.....well, that and the fancy flower transfers on the shell suite itself. Euurrgghh!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Whoops! Sorry, I didn't realise you lived in that house!
    As I recall, it was at the bottom of a steep north facing slope, with a boggy garden, an A class road just behind and a refuse transfer station dominating the main view.

However, it was the mock marble fireplace with artificial coals from B&Q that turned us against it.....well, that and the fancy flower transfers on the shell suite itself. Euurrgghh!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    But in its defence, the gold plated taps and toilet complimented the avocado bathroom suite perfectly... And you must have gone to quite some effort to get those all mirrors onto the bedroom ceiling...
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 17,401 Posts
    • 48,328 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hope you're okay with a genuine limestone fireplace Dave?That cost good money that did.....
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 26,885 Posts
    • 96,662 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope you're okay with a genuine limestone fireplace Dave?That cost good money that did.....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Yes, I have one of those, made to measure.

Wouldn't have a limestone hearth though; far too easily marked and damaged. Good old slate for that.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 13th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    maisie cat
    To be honest I think that many buyers would be mentally replacing the brown plastic so I wouldn't worry about changing the glass
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 13th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    dunroving
    But in its defence, the gold plated taps and toilet complimented the avocado bathroom suite perfectly... And you must have gone to quite some effort to get those all mirrors onto the bedroom ceiling...
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    I actually saw some bedroom photos on a Rightmove ad this week that made me think something similar ... talk about needing to rearrange your decor before viewings and photos.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 13th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 24,561 Posts
    • 51,813 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    To be honest I think that many buyers would be mentally replacing the brown plastic so I wouldn't worry about changing the glass
    Originally posted by maisie cat

THIS ^^^.

Why does anyone have brown uPVC frames?
    • Niv
    • By Niv 13th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Niv
    THIS ^^^.

Why does anyone have brown uPVC frames?
    Originally posted by LandyAndy

I believe it is because it looks more like wood?
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    I actually saw some bedroom photos on a Rightmove ad this week that made me think something similar ... talk about needing to rearrange your decor before viewings and photos.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    Hope it's on the 'have a look at this' thread...
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 13th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 24,561 Posts
    • 51,813 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Originally posted by Niv

Which it does, in the same way that white uPVC looks exactly like wood that has been painted white.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 17,401 Posts
    • 48,328 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Originally posted by Niv
    I think that's the idea - but it never does to me personally.....

I guess one tends to "look past" white upvc - as it's pretty much the norm for window surrounds to be white anyway and a lot of other houses have white upvc windows these days - so your eye just "skates over" it iyswim.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 13th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Niv
    I wasn't really defending the point, just pointing it out. As it goes, both the neighbours opposite me have brown pvc window frames (different shades), never really noticed them before but looked specifically because of this thread, oh and one has leaded windows.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

872Posts Today

6,451Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • One would hope if there were a people's vote, this time we'd have a properly constructed vote, that gave the public? https://t.co/9e5WT51CQz

• I'm getting really confused by people feeling the urgent need to respond to my tweets that all say "this poll isn't? https://t.co/046hq4kZl4

• I've written, published and broadcast on this scores of times. Maybe the easiest explanation is within this? https://t.co/W1MufNrpjS

• Follow Martin