Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rika
    • By Rika 12th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rika
    Gas meter isn't registered on the National Grid
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    Gas meter isn't registered on the National Grid 12th Apr 18 at 2:41 PM
    We bought a new build property in January 2018 and the gas meter is not registered on the National Grid due to a system issue, so we are unable to get gas bills. When we bought the properly we were told that E-On were the supplier for both gas and electricity, however they were a lot more expensive than the provider we have moved to. However, only our electricity could be moved due to the meter issue. Once this has been resolved I am absolutely expecting a large bill for gas to come in, but does anyone have any ideas on where I stand on disputing the amount of the bill? I have been putting away the amount the provider we wanted to move to quoted for gas, but I know it will be quite a bit more than this. I don't think I should have to pay for the additional charges as it isn't my fault I couldn't move the gas supply, and I have also lost a dual fuel discount.
    Will I be able to dispute the charges and only pay the amount I should have been paying with my chosen supplier based on their current charges. Also there is a chance I have missed out on a locked in deal with my new supplier and will now be affected with a gas price increase. Where would I stand on this?
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 12th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    We bought a new build property in January 2018 and the gas meter is not registered on the National Grid due to a system issue, so we are unable to get gas bills. When we bought the properly we were told that E-On were the supplier for both gas and electricity, however they were a lot more expensive than the provider we have moved to. However, only our electricity could be moved due to the meter issue. Once this has been resolved I am absolutely expecting a large bill for gas to come in, but does anyone have any ideas on where I stand on disputing the amount of the bill? I have been putting away the amount the provider we wanted to move to quoted for gas, but I know it will be quite a bit more than this. I don't think I should have to pay for the additional charges as it isn't my fault I couldn't move the gas supply, and I have also lost a dual fuel discount.
    Will I be able to dispute the charges and only pay the amount I should have been paying with my chosen supplier based on their current charges. Also there is a chance I have missed out on a locked in deal with my new supplier and will now be affected with a gas price increase. Where would I stand on this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Rika
    You can dispute the bill if it is not calculated in accordance with the tariff you agreed with that supplier when you purchased the property.
    If you failed to agree to a specific tariff, the supplier should bill you in line with their default tariff.

Plenty on E.ON reps on here. I'm sure one will be along soon to give you full details of the system error they allegedly have been experiencing for months, and hopefully when it will eventually be resolved

Perhaps they will offer you 50 goodwill, if they agree they have incurred a system failure for many months as you suggest?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 12th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    do they still do dual fuel discount anymore ?
    • Rika
    • By Rika 10th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rika
    • 10th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 10th May 18, 8:42 AM
    Scottish Power - who I was moving to when this issue was uncovered do offer a dual fuel discount.
    • jackelliot
    • By jackelliot 10th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jackelliot
    • 10th May 18, 7:35 PM
    Same here!!!
    • 10th May 18, 7:35 PM
    Hi. I bought a new build back in October last year. EOn were the providers. Details were given to them at the point of moving in. Electric was transferred to First Utility in November. At this point I questioned when the gas would go and was told "soon". I've been paying First Utility 90 a month gas and electric since November. In February I noticed I had been billed by First Utility on my gas from a start meter reading at zero. I questioned this as the meter reading was 27 units when I moved in!!! EOn then gave the excuse that the gas meter wasn't registered as with "between 5000 and 10000(!!!) new customer accounts.) I was told it would take 6-8 weeks to sort. It is now another 14 weeks on and still no where near being sorted. Issue is now with ombudsman. I have sent numerous emails which they verbally confirm they receive over the phone but NEVER confirm or reply via email. All in all, very unprofessional in my opinion! As for 50 compensation..........I personally am looking for a fair bit more than that!!
    Oh, and to clarify, YES I am paying my new supplier (First Utility) for gas used despite the fact the meter doesn't technically exist! They failed to realise this fact when they started charging me for dual fuel and asking me for meter readings.

Everything considered........a total disaster!!!!

Good luck with it all.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 3,729 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 11th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:55 AM
    Many developers of new build properties choose independent gas transporters (IGTs) rather than Cadent to install a gas supply. This can lead to delays in getting meters registered on the National Database. If it is dragging on, then my advice would be to submit a complaint against the supplier. You have nothing to lose. The thought that you might escalate the matter to The Energy Ombudsman after 8 weeks might just spur them on.
    Last edited by Hengus; 11-05-2018 at 9:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,313Posts Today

8,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin