Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • st999
    • By st999 12th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,177Posts
    • 657Thanks
    st999
    stretch forum skin
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    stretch forum skin 12th Apr 18 at 2:31 PM
    What happened to the stretch forum skin?

I have a wide-screen monitor and the forums are stuck in the middle with a third of the screen blank on each side.

Bring back the stretchy setting.
Page 2
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 16,007 Posts
    • 69,124 Thanks
    Judi
    just to be different i'm going to say i prefer it. I just look at the middle bit and ignore the white areas at the sides.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • jeanmd
    • By jeanmd 12th Apr 18, 10:52 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 25,023 Thanks
    jeanmd
    Please allow us to have the older, stretched, green version back as this new one is too bright for my eyes and I'll end up with a migrain. Everything else on my laptop is fine.
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to mse.

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most" - Unknown Author
    • derrick
    • By derrick 13th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 7,022 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    derrick
    Download Stylish for Firefox and install it onto Firefox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
    Open Firefox Menu and click on Add-ons
    Locate the Stylish addon and click on Options button
    Click on Write new style
    Paste this into the code window
    #forum_container { width:100% !important; }

Create a name for this the the window under Add Style and click the Save button.

Job Done.
    Originally posted by HoofeHearted
    Assuming I have done it right, I can find no window under Add Style, or Add Style or Save button for that matter.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Apr 18, 8:21 AM
    • 24,817 Posts
    • 92,114 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Assuming I have done it right, I can find no window under Add Style, or Add Style or Save button for that matter.

Originally posted by derrick
    Neither could I, but I piddled around on the Stylish site, found a variety of styles for MSE, picked the first and it seems to have worked.

Don't know if I like it or not. I've always had the half width set up and didn't know what I was missing...or perhaps not missing.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 33,361 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    custardy

Originally posted by derrick
    paste the code into the box as shown
    Name the style
    save

This is for Opera, but assume its the same.
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 13th Apr 18, 9:10 AM
    • 6,226 Posts
    • 4,478 Thanks
    Reaper
    [B]If you want green you must choose New Masthead, fixed width

If you want blue you can choose Use Forum Default
    Originally posted by One-Eye
    I think you (and MSE from their previous comments) miss the point. I don't care what colour it is, the only reason I used the green one was it used the full page width.
    If you choose the green version and don't like the space at each side then you can Zoom the page by 110% or 125%. This is especially useful for those with sight problems.
    That achieves nothing as it just expands the text size. The reason for not wanting space on each side is not aesthetics, it's to fit more on the screen.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 13th Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    • 7,022 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    derrick
    Name the style
    save

Originally posted by custardy

I do not have that box at the bottom, I have named it in the box below Edit Style and Saved, but nothing happens.

• derrick
    • By derrick 13th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 7,022 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    derrick
    OK it looks like it has done it, but it is not the required "fix", it is the Masthead stretch, see post #6

All this does is stretch the page, it does not give back the Old Version.

This seems to have happened since they added the mauve and blue discs in the left hand pane under usernames, I only noticed these yesterday when the Version swapped of it's own accord.

Last edited by derrick; 13-04-2018 at 12:23 PM.

• derrick
    • By derrick 13th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 7,022 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    derrick
    The other thing that has happened, (and this may be because of installing Stylish as it wasn't like this before), is that if I have more than one window opened, (probably happens with one only), when I hover over the Firefox motif bottom left on taskbar, i got all the windows in miniature, now I am getting a line if text which if I click on one opens open certain windows/tabs! how do I get back to "normal"?

• oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 13th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Click on Write new style

Create a name for this the the window under Add Style and click the Save button.

Job Done.
    Worked perfectly, thanks.
    Now occupying full screen width instead of the silly 1/3 that it was.
    A terrible change MSE. You should have, at least, kept the option of the older format rather than forcing this unnecessary change!
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    badmemory
    Click on Write new style

Job Done.
    Thank you so much for this. I thought it deserved much more than just the thanks button!
    • john539
    • By john539 13th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 15,536 Posts
    • 10,397 Thanks
    john539
    What happened to the stretch forum skin?

I have a wide-screen monitor and the forums are stuck in the middle with a third of the screen blank on each side.

Bring back the stretchy setting.
    Originally posted by st999
    It seems that in 2018, they can't do that for some strange reason !
    • john539
    • By john539 13th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 15,536 Posts
    • 10,397 Thanks
    john539
    Using the Stylish extension for Chrome / Firefox, create the following new style:
    Code:
    Apply to the moneysavingexpert.com domain and it's streched again
    Originally posted by gollum007
    I think MSE need some better techies & webbies on the job !
    • sbirks23
    • By sbirks23 14th Apr 18, 8:18 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    sbirks23
    Using the Stylish extension for Chrome / Firefox, create the following new style:
    Code:
    Apply to the moneysavingexpert.com domain and it's streched again
    Originally posted by gollum007

I can't cope with all the empty white space, and lines of text now wrapping rather than filling the white space - now I can only see 6 comps at a time rather than 15+ I could skim read before - what a ridiculous design, especially awful on my widescreen screen. As someone who works with teams web design, it's easy to apply a stretch resizing format in the code, why on earth haven't they done this!

Please can someone give me more detailed steps on how to apply this to Safari browser user settings please?

Thanks!!
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 14th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    poppellerant
    If anybody has uBlock installed for Firefox, block the column which is always on the right hand side of the forums. It is a waste of precious space and blocking it makes things a little more bearable.

Link to uBlock Origin for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
    Link to uBlock Origin for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

MSE Forums before:

MSE Forums after:
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 33,361 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    custardy
    If anybody has uBlock installed for Firefox, block the column which is always on the right hand side of the forums. It is a waste of precious space and blocking it makes things a little more bearable.

Link to uBlock Origin for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
    Link to uBlock Origin for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

MSE Forums before:

MSE Forums after:
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    If you use the Stylish add on you will have the full stretch,plus the u block section.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 18,370 Posts
    • 12,540 Thanks
    molerat
    Ooooh, full width forum
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 33,361 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    custardy
    I can't cope with all the empty white space, and lines of text now wrapping rather than filling the white space - now I can only see 6 comps at a time rather than 15+ I could skim read before - what a ridiculous design, especially awful on my widescreen screen. As someone who works with teams web design, it's easy to apply a stretch resizing format in the code, why on earth haven't they done this!

Please can someone give me more detailed steps on how to apply this to Safari browser user settings please?

Thanks!!
    Originally posted by sbirks23
    I assume this will work for you

http://sobolev.us/stylish/

Dont use fruit based systems

doubt its much different though

Name the style
    save

Last edited by custardy; 14-04-2018 at 1:19 PM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Apr 18, 1:37 PM
    • 33,361 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    custardy
    I use MSE Complete Declutter rather than Max Width - the latter leaves space for the right hand side bar in place (I haven't added the change suggested earlier), but the former removes it and I set the zoom level in Chrome to 150%.

Don't judge - I has a 23" monitor.
    For some reason quote isnt working for me???

Anyway, I cant handle increased text size (24" monitor )
    1920 x 1200 resolution,whats the point if I then set giant text?
    • sbirks23
    • By sbirks23 14th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    sbirks23
    Thank you!
    I assume this will work for you

http://sobolev.us/stylish/

Dont use fruit based systems

doubt its much different though
    FABSTASTIC custardy, THANK YOU so much! This stylish add-on worked for my safari browser, then I searched and found all the various mse options, installed both the full declutter and the max width and IT WORKS, they both apply and it's so much better.. THANK YOU!!
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,343Posts Today

8,255Users online

Martin's Twitter