Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gillybean127
    • By gillybean127 12th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gillybean127
    Credit card help
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    Credit card help 12th Apr 18 at 2:29 PM
    Hi. I've never had a credit card before, but have run up some debt with my Next and Very catalogues. Should I carry on paying the catalogues monthly or would I be better off trying to get a credit card with 0% purchases, paying the catalogues off and then paying an amount of the card monthly instead?
    For example, if I get a credit card with 0% purchases for 30 months, pay off the catalogues with this and then make payments off the card; is this a good way of managing the debt? Also, if I don't manage to pay off the full amount before the end of the 0% period, do I just apply for another card that has 0% balance transfers and then keep paying?
    Sorry, I want to make sure that I get this right!
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    How much debt is outstanding on the catalogues?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 7,604 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    have you checked that paying money to next and very would count as a purchase? It may not

safer to get a money transfer card.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    • 24,621 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    MallyGirl makes a very valid point.
    To be on the safe side I would get a money transfer card.

One last point - will you continue to purchase goods from these catalogues?
    Shifting the debt does not mean you have solved the problem of paying it back.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Apr 18, 4:46 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:46 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:46 AM
    If you have never held a credit card before then the chance of your actually getting a card with 30 months 0% purchases or a good 0% money transfer card is not particularly great. I would suggest you use an eligibility checker first to see what sort of cards you may be able to get. A 30 month 0% purchases card may not be a realistic expectation.
    As has been pointed out, unless both of these catalogue accounts accept credit cards in payment and will process such transactions as purchases, then a 0% purchase card would be of no use for this purpose. In such a case you would have to transfer your day to day spending to the purchases card and use this money to repay the catalogue accounts, presumably over time depending on how much you owe and how much day to day cash/debit card spending you can transfer to the new credit card. How much do you actually owe on these accounts?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 13-04-2018 at 4:53 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,721Posts Today

8,631Users online

Martin's Twitter